Friday, November 10, 2017

Wow, time is flying -- Thinking about Baby #3

I had my Women's Wellness visit today and was able to meet with my OB. My OB is pregnant! What I didn't know when I was pregnant is that she went through IVF for her first and used the RE that I have a consult with next month. She was surprised when she got pregnant "the old fashioned" way with her current pregnancy, as she suffered from infertility when trying for her first and was gearing up to do IVF again. Very happy for her!

To be honest about everything, every since I was pregnant I had contemplated whether I would try for a third. It's been on my mind a lot. Mostly because I knew that I would have to go through another IVF retrieval if I attempted again... and I knew the timing would be really tight due to my fertility issues. 

Well, I spoke to my OB about "when can I try again?" She said it's best to wait 18 months to let your body recover 100% from birth. We also talked a bit about my diabetes. 

Here's the deal with my diabetes. It was 100% controlled without meds prior to starting fertility treatments. When I started fertility treatments, my diabetes started to get a little wonky, so we added Metformin. As you know, once I was pregnant my diabetes just got crazy hard to manage and I was on insulin my entire pregnancy. Now that I'm nursing, my glucose levels are still wonky - which I guess is "expected" and should regulate back to normal after I stop nursing. I have a new endocrinologist that I'm working with to monitor my diabetes post-pregnancy. 

Here's the timeline of things and the steps I'm taking: 
  1. RE Consult. I have an RE Consult for IVF in December. It's all about the timing. Timing for weaning my baby, timing for when I could do new fertility workups, timing on when I could do another IVF cycle, timing on when I would be able to do a FET. 
  2. MFM Pre-Conception Consult. I am going to schedule an appointment with my much loved MFM! My OB suggested it. But I want to meet with her to discuss what I should do prior to pregnancy (ideal glucose levels, etc.). I'm hoping to get this scheduled in December as well. 
The "real" reason I'm trying to get all these appointments done in 2017 is that I've already met my max out of pocket with my insurance! So, it won't cost me anything. It'll also give me a better understanding of next steps I'll need to take IF I decide to move forward with IVF and try for Baby #3. 

Ok, so am I crazy for wanting to try for a third???????? I just might be! I love our little family with my boys. I'm not 100% sold on trying for a third... I've been going back and forth on it. I've also been considering foster/adopt as well... as my heart longs to foster and adopt again. 

Nothing is set in stone, it's all just trying to look into what it would look like. What I'm trying to do is imagine our family 10 years from now -- 15 years from now -- and 20 years from now, and what I hope that looks like. It's easy to say "No more kids!" when dealing with sleep deprivation or after giving birth or dealing with toddler-tudes. But that's such a short time period and God willing, there will be many years to come and so much more life to live. 

Right now, just dipping my toes in the "What this would look like" IF I try again. I'm hoping to get some clarity on all this after I meet with my RE and MFM. 

I also have some more goals IF I were to move forward: 
  1. Lose weight. 
  2. Start eating healthier. 
  3. Get my glucose under control. 
  4. Save money for IVF. 
Time will tell where this road will take me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment