Thursday, December 9, 2010

MAPP Training, Session #3

This week’s session focused on loss/attachment. As I get deeper into the MAPP training, I’m discovering more about myself. I didn’t think that was possible, I thought I knew me pretty well! What I discovered from this class is that I really need to take a deep dive into my past and really contemplate all my personal losses that I’ve experienced. These life events can either assist me in being a good foster parent or they can hinder me.  

A life event I’ve experienced can be considered a strength and assist me in helping a child that is experiencing a similar incident. I need to become more aware of what these strengths are in order to be able to identify the children I can best benefit.

Another takeaway is that I need to look at my weaknesses. Weaknesses are not necessarily negative. Weaknesses are areas where I’m lacking experience or knowledge. By identifying these items, I can begin to address them. Either I can build on the lack of knowledge by attending training sessions, learning more about it, reading books, etc. Or in other cases, find resources to fill the gap. I can possibly turn these weaknesses into strengths.

The point is, all the children that are in foster care have needs. I may not have the expertise to help them or I may not be the best resource for a specific child due to their circumstances and my lack of knowledge. By examining my life experiences and building on my weaknesses, I can determine where I can best be utilized and the types of children that I can be the best resource for.

This training is really eye opening. You really have to look at yourself. Who you are. What you’ve been through. Some people might think that’s an easy thing to do. I thought it was too! I’ve over-examined my life so much over the years. Going through this training, it’s really making me look at my life through a different perspective. Experiences that were difficult for me are now becoming assets and tools.

It’s only now that I’m truly learning what it means to be a foster parent and the responsibilities that come with that. The more I know where my strengths and weaknesses are, the better equipped I’ll feel. I know it’s not going to be easy, but I really do feel like I’m gaining the tools and resources to be as ready as I can be without the direct experience.  

No comments:

Post a Comment