Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Still on Step #3... Training Session #2.

I finished my second class and am headed into my third class. The second class really got to me, it took all my restraint not to cry during the session. They showed a video of foster children talking about their experience in the system. It just broke my heart... I am determined to be a "good" foster parent! I don't know all of what that means right now. But that's my goal.

Session #2 focused on the Alliance Model. This is the term used to describe the process of building partnerships with everyone involved in the process - either Foster or Adoption. It's crazy how many people are involved in ONE child's life when they enter the system. Imagine how overwhelmed that child can get. If it's confusing for me, I can't even think how a child must feel.

My take-aways from Session #2:
  • It's important to work with all the players on the child's case. Including the Case Worker, birth parents, etc.
  • There are "good" foster homes and there are "bad" foster homes. I want to learn more about what makes a foster home one or the other, so that I can make sure I never create an environment of a "bad" foster home. It's hard enough for these children, I want to make it easier on them as much as possible.
  • Being a Foster Parent, I am going to be an advocate for the children that come into my home. I have to make sure I understand the system, understand the resources that are available, understand the case plan, and that I make sure that I communicate well with all areas.
  • I may want to expand my age range of children I will bring into my home to include teens. This is an under served age range.
  • It's important for the children to keep their family connections (siblings, aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc).
  • It's important to focus on strengths/needs rather than behaviors.
From this session, I also decided that I would prepare my home so that I can take more than one child. The importance of siblings staying together really stuck to me. I moved my home office out of my spare room and moved it to the loft. I went out and bought furniture to accommodate 2 children. So, technically my house can take up to 3 children right now. I want the option to be able to take siblings.

So far, each class enforces my decision to foster :)

No comments:

Post a Comment