Tuesday, December 30, 2014

First Transvaginal Ultrasound & Bloodwork CD #2

I have to admit, I was a bit emotional today and worried about the ultrasound. This is my first period off of birth control & my "flow" is extremely light (sorry if this is TMI!). I was worried they wouldn't be able to do the tests and such. I had a dream trying to "will" my period to flow faster. LOL. I even called the doctor this morning to make sure it was OK for me to go in with such a light flow. 

In the exam room they have a board of all the babies that were born due to the assistance of the clinic...! I almost started crying thinking that my baby's picture would soon be on that board. I have to admit, this may be the first time all of this felt REAL - like it CAN and WILL happen. Not an "if" but a "when". 

We started off with the transvaginal ultrasound. There, they looked at the shape of my uterus. I actually SAW my uterus on the screen. So strange! It looked like a normal shape - to me! But I guess I'll find out more after my consult with my doctor. 

Then, we looked at each of my ovaries. The right ovary had *something* on the outside of it. Can't remember what it's called. Have to remember to ask. The doctor said it wasn't anything to worry about since it was outside of the ovary and not inside of it. Hmmmm..... The left ovary was hard to find and I felt a little discomfort from the probe. 

The good news (I hope - and will be confirmed when I have my consult after all these tests): is that I had 7-8 follicles in each ovary! This is supposed to be good. Now.... to know the "age" and quality of the follicles. Which is where all the blood work starts to play a factor. I had blood drawn. A lot....!!! I have a fear of needles, FYI - so this was no walk in the park. They are doing genetic testing if I'm a carrier fro cystic fibrosis or spinal muscular atrophy, hormone testing, and other things. Also, an HIV test. 

Next Steps/Next Week: 

  1. A sonohystereogram to look at the uterus (transvaginal ultrasound with water to look at uterus) in more detail.
  2. HSG Test: look at the fallopian tubes (X-ray test for fallopian tube patency) and see if they’re “open” and in good shape.

Two Weeks: a consult with my doctor… where I get all the results and HOPEFULLY get to order some donor sperm and have my first IUI (where they inject the sperm). This will most likely be in February since I will have already ovulated in January. 

As I was driving home, I cried... It's like going through this process is very emotional. I am going to have a baby!!!! :) I can't wait to start shouting it to the world. My baby.... it's so exciting and things have been going so well lately... I just can't wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment