Friday, February 13, 2015

Surgery...! I survived!

Yesterday I had my hysteroscopy. I couldn't sleep the night before the procedure. I was also not to eat or drink after midnight -- so of course I kept waking up thirsty and hungry!! 

My friend was nice enough to move around her schedule and take me to the appointment. Since I was going under anesthesia, I needed someone to drive me home. 

I don't think I was nervous-nervous until I had to walk back to the "prep room". Before we did that, I was able to complete the "Sperm Storage Agreement" since Monroe is arriving on Wednesday 2/18! All 4 vials of the magic-baby making- sperm. Monroe, don't let us down! 

Once I was in the prep room, I had to put on a hospital gown, put booties on my feet, and cover my hair. I had to sign away my life with waiver after waiver after waiver!!! The nurse explained the procedure again and asked me a million questions. Took my vitals, blood pressure - temperature. Then it was time to put the IV in.... 

Ugh. 

I have "hard veins" and she had a hard time finding a viable one. She checked both arms and took her time. She finally settled on my left hand. Geez, that thing hurt!!! I can't watch them stick me with needles, so I always turn away and close my eyes and focus on my breathing. It's  not the blood that bothers me, it's the actual needle piercing my skin. I had a horrible experience a few years ago with a person that poked me 8 or more times to draw blood. Then she did it wrong and I ended up having to go back and have it done all over again... Traumitized I am and remain to be of needles. 

After she got the IV in, I guess I bled profusely- all over my hand and all over the chair and all over the floor. I didn't look. Lol. The IV was uncomfortable in my hand, probably because I was focusing on it. Then the nurse started the saline "drip" - that stuff makes you cold! They also started some antibiotics. 

I then had to test my blood sugar levels. That wasn't fun either...! The monitor wasn't working and I had to do it three times before we got a reading. It was 115, which isn't bad. 

I was then able to lounge back and "chill" out in a recliner. Then the doctor came in and asked if I had any questions. Then the anesthesiologist came in and asked me more questions. He wasn't as warm or friendly as everyone else. I did have a lot of questions. 

Finally the nurse came back and it was time to go. I had to use the restroom... Which was odd using the toilet with an IV and saline drip on one side... Hmm. 

Once I walked into the surgery room -- that's when I got really scared.....!! It's scary looking in there. I had to lay down on the table and put my arms in a "T". Then they put sticky stuff on my chest, heart rate monitor on my finger, and then put a mask on me to start putting me under. I started feeling something sting in my left arm from whatever they were putting in there, but I was out by the time I took my third deep breath. 

I woke up and was a bit emotional -- crying and stuff. A though I wasn't sad. It was weird, I was also a little forgetful asking the same questions over and over. Lol. I had a bit of pain in my private area and can feel myself bleeding (which is normal and expected). 

But overall, I felt fine! I wasn't nauseous  or anything. I even was able to eat In-N-Out when we got back home :) 

I wasn't able to sleep though - I felt a bit "wired" but still tired - so I just laid around watching bad TV. My first pee hurt pretty bad - but after that, not much pain. I had some cramps, not terribly bad

I slept really good when I finally fell asleep and am feeling ok today. I have some light bleeding, but it's not bad at all. Like spotting. I don't even think I'm going to use the prescription for pain that my doctor gave me. 

All in all - things went well. I have to have a "normal cycle" and then the NEXT cycle I get to start IUI with Monroe's little swimmers. Getting excited to make Baby C - it's about to get real, I can't wait! 

No comments:

Post a Comment