Sunday, October 21, 2018

IVF #4: Started Stims - Stim Days 1-4

I started my Stims on Thursday, October 18th. It took me awhile to get into a rhythm with mixing the Lupron, Menopur, and Gonal-F. Four days in, I think I've finally got the hang of it and don't need to read any instructions anymore!

Now... giving shots. It's still hard. I still have to do some deep breathing. A few times I've bled from my injection site, which historically has been rare for me. Today, on day #4 of stims, the needle burned going in. I did hesitate both times, which may be why it burned. Ugh. It doesn't make it easier for me to do my injections.

Day #1 of Stims: 


Other Things: 
  • I did start my period after I stopped birth control. I don't think I've started my period each time before cycling, but I did this time. It wasn't light either... which I think it's supposed to be. But when I'm on birth control and other meds, my cycles are never "normal" really. 
  • Headaches... not sure if it's due to my crappy week (more below) or if it has to do with the meds. But man... headaches galore!!! Like lingering, deep in your skull, throbbing, headaches. 
  • My patience is depleted. Stick me with hormones and I'm just a mess! Poor kids, don't mess with Mama right now. LOL.
  • Hot flashes.... hot flashes... hot flashes... these started on Day #3 of stims. 
  • I received an email to register with the PGS testing company. I signed all their consents and I guess I'm in the clear to use them now. 

IVF #4 Shot Count: 12



Crappy Week

I had an uncharacteristically crap-tastic week. First, I had a work deadline that just went wrong-wrong-wrong. Second, I had to put my dog down :(  Third, I started stims and my hormones are a mess. 

I'm a bit of a mess over putting my dog down... he was a great pup. Even though I knew it was coming, it was such a hard and difficult decision. Though, I know it was the right choice to make for him. The hardest part about it all... is having to explain to my kids that our dog has died. Having my oldest go downstairs and call/look for the dog because he forgot he died. Having my youngest throw his food on the floor and call for the dog to come get it. It just all around sucks. Not to mention, I miss my dog :(  It's strange all the small things you do for your pets, you don't even realize how much it's a part of your routine until you don't need to do it anymore. I found myself opening the screen door multiple times to let him outside or looking for him in his normal spots or seeing him when we first get home. Ugh... hardest part of pet owning. I think it's going to be awhile before we get another pet. 

Next Steps

Tomorrow is kind of a big deal for me, it's my first monitoring appointment. During my cancelled IVF cycles (IVF Cycle #1 and IVF Cycle #3), Day #5 monitoring is when I knew there was a possibility of the cycle being cancelled. 

I almost feel "blind" in a way going into this monitoring appointment, as I have no clue how many follicles I'm working with, as I never had an Antral Follicle Count, which I've always had in my previous cycles. The only thing I can think is different this round is that a different doctor did my scans and she wasn't as thorough as my normal RE is. 

My calendar from my Piper Patch IVF notebook (https://www.piperpatch.com/): 


I've really been enjoying using my Piper Patch notebook. I keep it on my counter and look at it each day. I like physically checking off the calendar days and having a page designated for each day. I also really appreciate the daily affirmations. From my Day #1 cycle page it reads "I trust my body." I need to repeat that one right now!! 

I'll update again after I have my monitoring appointment, to see where I stand on this cycle. I wish I had a gut instinct on what I *think* was going to happen. But really, at this point - I have absolutely no clue. I always find this monitoring appointment "funny" in a way... I will technically be half-way through stimming... so half-way to an egg retrieval. But it always ends up being a tipping point - retrieval or cycle cancelled. Two completely opposite directions. Crazy. I can't do an IUI this cycle, so if it's cancelled - all the time and money gets washed down the drain. 

<sigh> I just can't help but try to mentally prepare for the possibility of a cancelled cycle. 

Need to think positive though! Fingers crossed for a good monitoring appointment and for a continued cycle. 

Stay tuned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment