Sunday, April 4, 2021

The *Maybe* Move: Week 2 - Moving Forward

Today is Easter. I had a lovely, relaxed, day with the kids. They opened their Easter baskets, they ate a lot of sugar, they dyed eggs, we ate the dyed eggs, we Zoomed with my mom and little brother. Nothing fancy, pretty simple, yet pretty perfect. 

Last year, during the stay-at-home order, I felt I had to compensate and make Easter super big for the boys. It ended up being super stressful for me and we didn’t have a great day. So I’m glad I kept it super light and basic this year. Though B did tell me he wanted an Easter egg hunt! Maybe next year :) 


This was a week of ups and downs on the *maybe* move. Highlights: 

  1. My friend toured the house - it’s in great shape! 
  2. I got connected with the owner and spoke to her 
  3. The owner spoke to my realtor
  4. Got some things fixed at my AZ house: sprinklers, new irrigation timer, plumbing work 
  5. Received all my packing supplies from Amazon 
It was a strange week where I wasn’t sure if this would really happen. The owner was going back and forth on whether she would do a direct sale to me or list on MLS. So, I wasn’t 100% that this would move forward. 

I spoke to the owner, she’s super nice. And guess what - she went though IVF to have her kids. I appreciate that people are open to discussing using IVF to build their families. I have found that it can be something not discussed much... I thought things were on track to move forward, but she kept having second thoughts about listing vs direct sale. 

I connected her with my realtor. It took a few days, but she finally told my realtor that she wants to move forward with the direct sale to me! She wants to finish painting the house and then we will do a virtual tour in about a week. After the tour, I can officially put in an offer! Then we can move forward with the appraisal / inspection. I am excited to do the virtual tour! I’ve seen pictures of the inside from previous listings, so it’ll be nice to see it in more detail. 

I’m grateful that things are falling into place! However, I still have some due diligence and research to do on a few items. It’s a big deal to relocate from here to a rural area. Lots to consider. I just want to make sure I’m really thinking this through. I posted on the Single Mothers by Choice forum and received a lot of great feedback and questions I didn’t originally consider. So... I’m going to look into a few more things and have a few more conversations. 

I also got some things done at my house: plumbing work, replaced my irrigation timer. I have some things lined up: appliance repair & having new plants planted in the front yard + drip line replacement. 

Things I’m looking to do in Week 3: 
  1. Looking into using PODS or something similar for the move. Going to get quotes. I have lined up help to unpack there. I’m working on lining up help to pack here. It’s cheaper than using a full on moving company by like thousands of dollars. 
  2. I need to start packing!!! I’m going to commit to working on packing for at least an hour a day. 
  3. I’m hoping that the walk through happens and then the offer gets put in. 
  4. I’m looking into daycare/nanny solutions for my littles. Mostly in the research phase. I might need to start off with a babysitter, then eventually find a full time nanny if I can’t get the kids into the daycare. 
  5. I’m trying to line up childcare for a weekend so I can fly over there to see the house/property in person. This will probably be in May. I’ll probably bring the baby with me and have someone babysit the boys. I haven’t flown since pre-Covid... but I would feel better seeing the place in-person before we close on the property. 
Lots to do...! My mind is seriously flooded with thoughts about moving. There’s so much to think about and consider. I’ve been doing a lot of research on homesteads and such. I might make a 10 year plan on what I want to do on the property... I have a vision forming on what I want to ultimately do there. You know, the planner in me! Plus, the stuff I want to do, I’ll need to budget for. 

Reaction from friends have been funny! Especially people that have known me for a long time. For the most part, everyone has been super supportive. Some concerns about me being able to maintain the property and my lack of erm, “skills,” in doing that type of work. I take no offense to that, as I am not known for being handy! Lol. It’s definitely going to be a learning curve for me. Luckily, I like challenges & I like learning new things/skills :)  

What I’ve noticed is, lots of people have considered something similar and just never moved forward with it. I think I can think and think and think... consider the pros and cons & just get stuck on making a decision. When it boils down to it, I want a change! 

But yes... it’s looking like this “City Girl” is going to be making this big move - if the rest of the puzzle pieces fall into place. 

More to come! 



No comments:

Post a Comment