Saturday, April 3, 2021

The Road to Baby #3: IVF #6 and Fresh Transfer

Continuing the story to baby #3.

I was keeping a private diary after I stopped blogging. But after IVF #5 was canceled, I stopped proactively talking to friends about TTC and I didn’t write as frequently. Due to this, a lot of the details are hazy. 

Excerpt from my diary at the end of cycling. I wrote this the night before my retrieval: 

I cried yesterday packing up my extra syringes to donate to my clinic… I cried because: 

 

I don’t know if I can go through another IVF cycle… 

 

After all my cycles, I’ve never felt like “this is it, this is all I got.” But I might be there now…

 

I have no clue if this cycle will result in my much wanted and much hoped for Baby #3… this is my 4th cycle trying for Baby #3. I’ve been trying since September and planning since June of last year when  I started to wean L. 

 

It’s been a year and still no baby. 

 

I just don’t know if I can continue to do this financially… mentally… physically… 

 

I’m hoping my Baby #3 is one of these beautiful follicles that I stimmed 16 days for… SIXTEEN!!!!!!!!! 

 

It may be the hormones talking… or it may be just reality setting in. But I don’t know what to do after this cycle if it doesn’t work.



The details are so hazy... that I can’t even remember how many eggs they retrieved! I will need to look at my written notes to fill in the blanks. I do remember that 3 eggs fertilized and made it to day 4 (my clinic transfers on day 4). I had a choice to make at that point... 1) transfer 1, 2) transfer 2, or 3) transfer all 3. The suggestion was for me to transfer all 3. But, I couldn’t risk transferring 3 - can you imagine what could have happened? They said with my history and age, that the odds were that only one would take. Having 2 kids already, I just couldn’t take that risk. 


There were 2 embryos that were the same grade and 1 that was better quality. (I’ll have to look at my notes later to fill in the gaps on what the quality was.) I ultimately decided to do a fresh transfer of the 2 embryos that were the same grade. I had read a few studies that said you can lower your chance of implantation by transferring two different graded embryos. Also, the better quality embryo had a higher chance of being frozen/thawed successfully and that the 2 lower quality embryos may not have made it. So, I opted to freeze the higher quality one. The two embryos I transferred: 



Another note on this clinic, they did not suggest PGS testing for me. The RE doesn’t believe in the testing. He also said that I can risk damaging a potential normal embryo, that the costs of testing were not worth it (for my specific situation), especially since I’m a low responder to IVF and I wasn’t expected to get a lot of eggs/embryos. 


The timing for this transfer were challenging, as I did the transfer prior to going on vacation. So, I found out it didn’t work while I was on vacation - which sucked. Which also meant I was doing all these medications while traveling. I’ll have to list my med protocols later, I have to find them! But I was on a blood thinner and I had horrible bruises on my tummy from it. 


Recap: 

  • IVF 6 = 3 embryos 
  • Fresh Cycle of 2 embryos = didn’t work 
  • Final embryo = was frozen successfully 

No comments:

Post a Comment