Wednesday, January 13, 2016

2015 Holiday Season Celebrations


I have to say, the holiday season was extremely BUSY! Being a child, you don't really appreciate how much the adults do to "make Christmas happen". As an adult, and single mom, I now understand just how much effort and time and dedication goes into making the holidays actually happen! 

What was amazing and fun about this Christmas season is that my son is officially mine! It was our first Christmas as a Forever Family. With that in mind, I thought it would be great to start Family C Holiday traditions this year, since my son is now getting old enough to really understand things. 

Here are a few of the traditions that we did in 2015, some new - some we've been doing for the past years. 

Advent Candles 

This is a NEW tradition. During the month of December, I normally travel out of town. So, I haven't really stayed put all month long. This year, it was different - where we didn't go on vacation in December. Which I have to admit, was really-really nice. I'm now thinking that maybe we'll stay home in December for future years... we shall see. 

Since we were home from the start of Advent, I thought it was a great time to start using my advent wreath/candles/book. I'll admit, I've had my Advent wreath for YEARS and haven't used it most of the years I've had it. 

Every night we lit a candle and read from the book. My son is only 2 and didn't really "get it". But I'm hoping that as the years go by, it'll become customary and he'll start to "get it" as he gets older. My son's favorite part was blowing out the candles :) My favorite part was starting prayer with my son. From the start of this, we now have made it a habit to pray before meals together. 


Photos with Santa

We did the whole Santa picture thing at our local Bass Pro Shop. It was crowded, but nice. Who knew Bass Pro Shop had so much for little kids to do?! 


The actual pictures didn't turn out too good! Both boys were not Santa fans. Santa seemed fragile - like old... And not very friendly! I love the Santa they had at Disney World last year, best Santa I've ever seen. It was funny because both boys looked "concerned" when they sat on Santa's lap! But the good thing is, neither boy cried :) Last year, my son was so scared of Santa. 

Christmas Lights 

There's a neighborhood over by our house that does the "big" Christmas lights show. It's pretty cool because it's just a bunch of neighbors that do it. They close off the streets, you park at a local elementary school and walk the entire thing. They even have shuttle service for times where it's really crowded and people have to park further away. 

Although it's really close to my house, I've never gone! Just seemed like a hassle when you have small children. So, this is a NEW tradition for us that I want to continue doing for years to come. It was so much fun walking the street with the boys and looking at all the creative and festive decorations. My son has always been fascinated with lights, so he was very 'serious' about examining all the displays. Munchkin slept most of the time and I just carried him in the Tula Carrier. 

They had hot chocolate and snacks at some of the houses, which was really nice of them. They also do a toy collection.

All in all, a really good time for us!



Annual Christmas Celebration

One of my close friend's has an annual Christmas Celebration at her house. This is the same friend that we spend Thanksgiving with and my kids call her Grandma. I'm so grateful that she includes us in her family holiday traditions. It's so nice to watch my kids enjoy experiencing a "big family" for the holiday celebrations. Especially since my birth family is so small and we are not very close.

Here were our yummy stocking stuffer treats that my friend made for all the grand kids:



Countdown to Christmas Links

I was back and forth if I would start the Christmas links this year with my son. I did Christmas links with my first foster daughter in 2011 and haven't really done them since. She was 4 at the time and she really liked it. Since then, I haven't really had kids that were old enough to enjoy it or were too old to want to do it. 

With my son being so young, I decided to do a 5 day countdown! He liked it! Next year, we'll add more links to countdown. So this one is "old" but "new" tradition. 




Gingerbread Train 

I never really did a gingerbread house when I was a kid and always wanted to do one! I found this train kit at Walmart and thought it would work better for my son. He loves trains! 


Before
After
My son was more interested in eating the candy than decorating the train! In hindsight, decorating ONE portion of the train probably would have been better than trying to do the entire thing. 

Making Christmas Cookies 

I wanted to make Christmas cookies this year for Santa. I normally do bake cookies, but I'm not a big fan of doing the shapes. I asked my friend, that the kids call Grandma, if she would like to spend some time with my son to make the Christmas cookies. I thought it would be nice for him to do something with someone else other than mama! My friend was happy to spend some time with him to make the cookies. 

I have to say, it was so adorable watching them work together. My son had so much fun touching the dough, touching the flour, using the rolling pin, and decorating the cookies. This is definitely a tradition I want to continue going forward. We used these cookies to leave for "Santa".



He had fun eating some of the sprinkles and then eating the cookies, of course :) 

Christmas Eve Mass 

I decided to tackle Christmas Eve Mass with both of the boys... by myself! Not an easy task. Since we were going to be going to the 4pm service, I was worried about Christmas Eve dinner. I decided to make a Crock Pock Turkey dinner - so it was ready when we got home from Church. It turned out "OK". Next year, I'll need to tweak it a bit. 

Mass was exhausting, but I survived! The boys were pretty good considering how long we were there. I'm glad we went though! It's easy to skip it with the crowds and all. But really, attending Mass during Christmas is a MUST - it's the reason for the whole thing.  

Family Box 

This is new, but old, as well. We do a Family Box: new PJ's, a family movie, chocolate milk, snack, and a new book. It makes it hard when we did Christmas Eve Mass and then had Christmas Eve dinner. By then, it was past the boy's bedtime! So, we just did the PJ's and new book on Christmas Eve. Watched the movie and ate a snack Christmas Day. I'll be honest, never really got to the chocolate milk -- it's still sitting in the pantry. 

Christmas Day 

Christmas Day was exciting when I was a kid! I didn't put out the Christmas presents until the boys went to sleep, so waking up Christmas morning -- my son was surprised to see all the presents :) 

What I didn't anticipate is how LONG it took to open presents. My son got distracted with each gift. 

He got a bike - it was all about the bike. 
He got a play kitchen - it was all about the play kitchen. 
He got a Blaze Truck - it was all about Blaze. 

We ended up opening presents all through the day. 

When my son gets older, I do want to do a volunteer event on Christmas Day. When I had my teenage foster daughter, we volunteered at the Salvation Army. I'm thinking maybe at 3 years old, he might be able to understand more and we can do some sort of volunteer event next year. 

Thank You Cards 

I haven't sent these out yet!!!! I'm sooo late on it! I'm going to work on it this weekend (so I say). But I think it's important to send Thank You cards to everyone that sent a gift. I want to teach my son to do it for any gift-giving event. 

Missed: We missed my Foster Agency Christmas Party. It just got too busy. It's a bummer because I really enjoy their events. 

That was how the holidays went down Family C-style. It was fun, it was nice, BUT it was exhausting!!! LOL. I have to say, I was happy when everything was over. I de-Christmasfied pretty quickly. I was happy get my house back in normal operation mode.

Like I mentioned earlier... it's hard work to make Christmas magical and happy for your kids! Totally worth it though! 

No comments:

Post a Comment