Thursday, October 27, 2016

7w+5d: RE Visit + MFM 1st Visit

Not really sure where to begin... feels like a lot has happened since I last wrote. Guess I'll write where I left off from Sunday.

RE Appointment 10/24/16 (7w+2d) 

I had my appointment with my RE on Monday. After the subchorionic hemorrhage on Sunday, I just couldn't shake the "fear" that came when I saw all that blood and the blood clots. I had continued to spot afterwards. Luckily it wasn't a lot and most of it was brown spotting. I did have one incident of red spotting again, but not much of it. But every time I saw the blood... It just was so upsetting and I just couldn't shake it.

I found this good explanation of a subchorionic hemorrhage on this blog: http://mommyknowswhatsbest.com/2015/07/what-causes-subchorionic-hemorrhage-in-pregnancy/

Here's a useful picture of what it means: 

I called my RE's office first thing on Monday morning to tell them about the incident, so that I wouldn't have to explain it all when I got in there and my doctor would be prepared to discuss it. Guess what, he wasn't concerned. He said it happens in about 40% of IVF pregnancies... crazy. He did have me stop the Baby Aspirin. Then I had the reassuring ultrasound where I got to see my little one on the screen. I have to say... seeing the baby is so amazing each and every time I see him/her. I even got to HEAR the heartbeat this time! It sounded like a galloping horse. Supposedly an old wives tale says that girl heartbeats sound like a galloping horse and boys sound like a train. Heartbeat came in at 153 bpm. There's also an old wives tale that faster heartbeats are girls and that slower heartbeats are boys. Maybe little one is a girl? :) 

Everything looked good. Baby looked good. Strong heartbeat. He did find the hemorrhage and he said it was really small. He also mentioned that my LAST appointment would be next week...! I'll wrote more on my feelings on that later. 

Maternal–Fetal Medicine (MFM) (also known as perinatology)

I saw the high risk doctor today. They're known as "perinatologist" or "MFM," I may use it interchangeably. It was a LONG appointment. I came with all my paperwork filled out already and arrived at about 2pm. I was there until 5pm! Crazy!

First, they took my vitals. Blood pressure = normal, blood sugar = 127. I had to provide a urine sample. Peeing in a cup is now a regular thing for me. Then I had an ultrasound. I wasn't expecting to have an ultrasound! What's really cool is they have the BEST equipment so their ultrasound machine is super detailed. I got to hear the baby's heartbeat again and it came in at 179 bpm! Then she even did a 3D image of the baby... which is so crazy!! The baby is forming the arm buds and leg buds, you can totally see them on the picture (if you know where to look). It's so amazing to get a 3D image of the baby already.

Then I waited until I was to see the MFM. When I finally got in there, I liked her right away. She calls all her patients, "love." She has a bit of an accent that I'm not familiar with, so I really had to pay attention and make sure I was understanding her directions. I'm sure I'll get used to it after awhile. I like her a lot! She's funny, she takes her time with her patients, and she's really thorough. I could do without the crazy wait, but they had an emergency with another patient... so it's understandable.

The MFM was also not worried about the hemorrhage at all...

We talked a lot about my diabetes and what we... aka "I"... needed to do. Here's my list:

  1. Start Logging my Food and check glucose level 6x's a day (fasting and before/after meals). 
  2. Increase my Metformin from 2 pills a day to 3 pills a day... then if that sits well, increase to 4 pills a day. 
  3. Schedule time for an echocardiogram with the cardiologist. I guess diabetes impacts the heart and since I've never had my heart checked before, she's making sure that everything is ok. My son had an echocardiogram before, so I know what to expect from it. And strangely, I'm kind of excited about seeing my heart on ultrasound! I hope they let me watch the screen. I also hope that everything's ok with my heart. 
  4. Schedule my annual eye exam. I had this on my list already, but she said I should go in NOW. I'm going to have to call in and set my appointment. Luckily I do go annually to my eye doctor. Diabetes impacts eyes as well. 
  5. Schedule a check-up with my dentist. I already have one scheduled. Diabetes also impacts your teeth/gums, lucky me? So I go regularly as is for regular cleanups and I just happen to have my appointment next week. 
  6. 24 hour urine test and blood work to check kidneys/A1C level. This part is gross. I have to collect my urine for 24 hours straight. Then after the last "specimen" is taken, I have to bring it to the lab within 3 hours! Which also means I have to keep my pee in the refrigerator... yucky. No fun. I've never had to do this test before EVER. I get why I have to do it, but it just grosses me out thinking my pee will be sitting next to my eggs and milk. Ugh. I also have a logistical problem since I commute to work on some days. I can't collect urine at work! And I can't do it on the weekend due to them wanting me to return it within 3 hours! I also have to make sure I'm home for that time so I can actually collect the urine. So, logistical nightmare for me. The nurse was like, "What's so complicated?" She just doesn't get it... Finding the time is going to be the hardest part of for me, so I need to get that part figured out ASAP. 
I already knew going into TTC that the diabetes was going to be a big deal once I was able to get pregnant. There are so many repercussions for my baby if I don't get my numbers under control. I feel a little stressed about my capabilities of controlling my eating habits... I'm such a picky eater as is and I have to make so many changes. I want to do this for the baby, I just hope I can get it done so the baby will be ok. I'm a bit emotional about it right now... but it's a very serious thing that I have to take action on. 

I also have to decide on what type of NIPT (non-invasive pregnancy test) I'm going to do. There are 4 different companies... and I have to decide on one. Sometimes having choices isn't always good. It'd be nice if there was only 1 or 2 choices. I'll go over that later, since I'm still looking into it. But basically they check for chromosomal abnormalities and also will let you know the gender. 

I have my nuchal translucency (NT) scan scheduled for 11/21! This feels almost like a "turning point" for me. I feel like if I make it that far, I'll be so close to being in the second trimester and I can start feeling safer with my pregnancy. I purposely scheduled the NT scan prior to Thanksgiving break. It'll be so very nice to have some reassurance before I go on vacation. 

I need to get a log together to better track all this pregnancy stuff. All of this stuff is so new to me that I have to research almost every single portion. Hopefully it'll stop feeling as overwhelming soon. 

All in all, none of my doctors are worried about the subchorionic hemorrhage. So I've decided I'm not going to worry about it anymore. From the ultrasounds, the hemorrhage is so very small and there weren't any more in there, that they could see. I've also stopped spotting the brown blood. I'm hoping these are all good signs. Little One is measuring right on track and everything looks good there. 

Things are moving along, albeit it feels "slow" to me - but really, it's speeding by. My son is cute and will talk about the "itty bitty baby in Ma's tummy." :) We pray for the baby every night that he/she keeps growing, stays healthy, and that we get to meet him/her in June 2017. I never expected to tell my son so early, but he doesn't really "get it" and the extra prayers help. I'll talk to him more about it and what it means after I finish the first trimester.... which feels so close, but so far away!  

I feel like I'm in good hands with my new MFM doctor and I feel very secure that she's going to do all she can to help me control my diabetes and have a healthy baby. I'm glad I have all my resources on hand early and that I'll be monitored closely. 

Now... to figure out this darn 24 hour urine collection :( 

Next Steps: 
  • 10/31/16: Last Appointment with my RE 
  • 11/4/16: Follow-up with OB 
  • 11/4/16: Follow-up with MFM on my food log 
  • 11/21/16: NT Scan...!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment