Friday, November 4, 2016

8w+6d: MFM and OB Appointments

I know I'm behind on all other aspects of my blog, but as I mentioned in my last post - the fatigue is killing me. So I'm barely keeping up with the blog as is. I also mentioned that my app on my phone isn't working (keeps crashing), so makes it harder to do updates since I'm hardly on my home computer. 

MFM Follow-Up - Diabetes 

I had a follow-up appointment with my MFM this morning to follow-up on my diabetes. The good news is: All my labs look really good! Liver, kidney, and urine analysis all came back within range. Also, my blood pressure is perfect. My A1C was at a 6.0, which is really good for a type 2 diabetic and I'm mostly in the pre-diabetic range. Here is a chart for comparison: 


Although all my labs look good, my food log looked HORRIBLE! Well, to begin with - I'm a picky eater normally. I just am and have been since I was a kid. I've ventured off onto new food adventures, but I am extremely picky. Then, hit the nausea and food aversions.... Limited food options to begin with, now half the foods I would normally have eaten are just not happening. I've actually lost about 5 lbs since I got pregnant, which they say is completely normal. But sometimes I'm just afraid to eat because I'm afraid of what my blood sugars are going to do.

The main issues: my fasting blood sugar was high and my blood sugar spikes really high after meals.

This isn't "normal" for me and they said the pregnancy will throw everything off. The real concern is that huge spikes in my sugar means the baby is experiencing these spikes as well, which is really bad for the baby. When we were going over my food log, I burst out crying. This hormonal/emotional thing is just crazy sometimes. I can't eat anything and my blood sugars are crazy.

With that in mind, my MFM is switching me from Metformin to insulin... I start next week after I have an injections training class. I'll be doing insulin injections 3x's a day. I'm not thrilled about the switch to insulin, but at the same time I relieved that the blood sugar spikes will be controlled.

I also have to decide on the NIPT. My MFM recommended I take the Panorama test, so I'm going to do that one. I just have to decide on timing. Technically, I can take it as early as 10 weeks. The issue: it can be inconclusive that early is there might not be enough baby DNA in my bloodstream. If I wait a little longer, the chances of the tests coming back OK are higher and then I won't have to repeat the test. So... I'm leaning towards waiting until my NT scan at 11 weeks to do the test. What's a week in waiting? In my head, the one week delay FEELS like a long time... I want to know if everything is OK and I also want to know the gender. Patience was never my thing, if you've noticed... but waiting until 11 weeks is probably what I'll end up doing.

OB Appointment 

I also had my OB appointment today. It was kind of a weird appointment since I was seeing a different doctor and I wasn't really sure what they were going for during this appointment. I had to give them an update on the SCH and let them know I was still bleeding. Then they gave me an ultrasound (I wasn't expecting one). Man... the lady doing the vaginal ultrasound -- she was really rough, it actually hurt! Never had it hurt like that before. Made me miss my RE who I never really felt any discomfort with for the most part. I got to see baby again and see his/her heartbeat, which was at a health 171 bpm. Baby was doing its little wiggles, which will never cease to amaze me. The SCH is still there and hasn't reabsorbed yet. They said it can last from 4-6 weeks and not to worry unless I have a period-like bleed or get major hurtful cramps.

I have to go back and get more blood work drawn. Otherwise, I found out I'm experiencing ligament pain in my abdomen. I have to admit that I was worried it was signs of a miscarriage... which is why I asked about it. But all is well, just normal pregnancy stuff.

Going forward, only going to see the OB every 4 weeks until the third trimester where I'll get more frequent monitoring for "stress tests" and stuff. The MFM I'll probably see more often due to the diabetes management and high risk factors.

The OB gave me a bag of free stuff:



It was kind of fun getting a bag of baby/pregnancy related stuff! Like, this is really happening! One of the guides they had in there says: 


I thought that was too funny, so had to post it - it made me laugh :) 

Looks like my appointments are starting to get more "regular" (hopefully). The constant appointments were hard to balance between work and single motherhood stuff! But the sad thing is, that means I won't be having an ultrasound until my NT scan! That's a 2 1/2 weeks from now. I've been a bit spoiled getting 2 a week the past two weeks. I think it's just going to slow down after that. 

I'm feeling a little more optimistic about this pregnancy. Baby is on track, blood work looks good, and I'm doing preventative measures with the diabetes. I have all the right providers, which makes me feel like I have a great medical team behind me. I'm doing all I can to have a healthy pregnancy. 

I still can't believe it... I'm really pregnant, I'm really going through this. Tomorrow I'll be 9 weeks pregnant. Every day, every new week -- is such a blessing. 

Next Steps: 
  • 11/11/16: MFM Appointment, Insulin Injections Training 
  • 11/22/16: MFM Appointment, NT Scan and NIPT(?) 
  • 12/2/16: OB Appointment, monthly follow-up 
  • Cardiologist?? Still waiting to schedule due to the issue with the referral. 

No comments:

Post a Comment