Saturday, February 18, 2017

24 Weeks Pregnant - Viability!

Finally made it here... 24 weeks, viability! Prior to all my issues in pregnancy, I didn't really understand the significance of hitting viability. But since I've been having so many issues with my pregnancy, I totally get it now. Before 24 weeks, if something had happened -- the doctors wouldn't try to save the baby. At 24 weeks, that changes. The baby is concerned a "baby" and not a "fetus." So, if something were to happen, all medical interventions would be taken to save the baby. Also, the chances of survival go up from here. 

I am so grateful to reach this huge milestone...! There were moments where I wasn't sure I would. 

How far along: 24 Weeks -- VIABILITY

How big is baby: a cantaloupe. Ovia app: 

Weight Gain: -1 lb. 

Stretch Marks: No new ones. 

Symptoms: Starting to get a lot more discharge and have been wearing a panty liner for the last few weeks. It just seems to be getting worse, which I heard is all normal. I've also been getting some weird aches and pains in my tummy. I'm assuming they're from the baby being in a weird position or from some ligament stretching. Still very-very tired. Afternoons are killer for me. I have most of my energy in the morning and in the evenings. 

Sleeping: Sleeping a "little" better maybe? Still tossing and turning like crazy. I just get these horrible side sores and am forced to move. I can't sleep on my back - it's too uncomfortable. Not getting as much sleep as I'd like, that's for sure.  

Food cravings: Chocolate... STILL. Argh. 

Food aversions: Not really. 

Maternity Clothes: Nothing new. 

Movement: I'm feeling baby boy move around a lot now! At certain times he's busier than others. But it's kinda funny because I can push down on my tummy and can "feel" where he's hanging out. It's crazy to think he reaches from my cervix to about 1-2 inches above my belly button now. So he's taking up a lot of room. I even felt some movement on the outside a few times! That's hard to catch though, can't wait until that's more consistent. 

What I did / Got for Baby:  
  • Increased my budget for all pre-baby things. I'm going to prioritize the things I think I "need" to get before the baby is born, which ended up being a little more than I budgeted for. Aiming to buy all these things by the end of April. I really want to set-up my bedroom, since we'll be co-sleeping for the first few months. In order to do that I need to buy a few new things. I did finally settle on a co-sleeper! This is the one I'm going with: Arms Reach Ideal Ezee Co-Sleeper 3 in 1. I like it best because I can use it as a stand-alone bassinet, co-sleeper bassinet, or a regular Pack-N-Play (and I desperately need a new pack-n-play). 
  • I registered for lactation class! This won't be until April, but it's paid for and on the calendar. 
  • I registered for a newborn care class. This is also in April. Paid for and on the calendar! 
  • I am pre-purchasing some photo sessions by the lady that did our holiday pictures. They turned out so good, I knew I would want to use her again. She has a package that includes: Maternity photos, NB photos, 6 month photos, and 1 year old photos. She's also being nice where she's not making me pay 100% of the package up front and is splitting it out through all 4 of the sessions. Which is nice because I didn't budget for that yet! It's getting added to the budget now :) 
  • I booked my mom's airfare today! The prices were pretty cheap. She's coming a little earlier than expected and staying a little longer than expected... 7 weeks total. But I wanted her here a little earlier just in case baby boy makes an early entrance. Also, it'll be nice to have her here to help with my son - since I'm assuming 9 months pregnant will be a little uncomfortable! It's nice that she's going to be here to help. I'll write more about some of my potential "concerns" on a different post. 
Still to do: 
  • Birthing Classes. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about these. I called my hospital to ask if I can take the classes solo and they seemed to discourage it, since there's a lot of partner stuff. My mom, who will be my birthing partner, lives in a different State -- so not like she could go with me or anything. I didn't really want to ask any friends to go with me. So, I'm back and forth on whether or not I'll take a birthing class. I heard there are some you can do online, so might try that. There's also hypnobabies. But not sure about that either, because I'm not really sure I'll be able to have the natural birth (no meds) that I'm hoping for. Basically, all up in the air right now. Luckily I have some time to figure it out. 
  • Sibling Class. I found a local hospital that offers a sibling class and is geared towards 3-6 year olds. I'm waiting for them to post future classes to their website so I can register my son. I want to wait for him to take it until April/May -- so it's not "too far off" from when baby brother arrives. 
  • Elective Ultrasound. I've been going back and forth on if I want to do an elective ultrasound... I thought for sure I did! Then... I figured I'm getting so much monitoring, is the extra $$ really worth it? I wanted it because I wanted a DVD of baby boy while in utero. However, I can probably ask them to let me record it at my next ultrasound... Eh. I just want to be sure I'm spending my money wisely because I can definitely use those funds in the "baby fund account" for sure. 
I don't think there's anything else I really need to do, which is kinda crazy. Everything is coming along nicely in the "planning" part of getting ready for baby boy. I do want to get the house a little more "in control" and less cluttered. It's not "bad" really, but I definitely need new plastic pins and need to categorize things like toys --- clothes --- etc. It's a little sporadic the way things are stored right now. Maybe the "nesting" thing will kick in and I'll get a surge of energy to clean and organize? one can only hope! 


What I miss: Being able to move quickly without getting aches/pains in my back/hips/stomach. 

Workouts: ---->=-( 

What I'm looking forward to: Hitting the 3rd trimester! 3 more weeks for that. 

Best moment of the week: Seeing my baby boy move around during the echo cardiogram and then hearing that ALL LOOKS GOOD with his heart! I almost didn't believe it when they told me and it took a few hours after my appointment to feel the big relief from that. 

Rants/Raves: No rants this week...! I do have a rave. My son -- he just amazes me at times and he's growing up so fast. He is such a happy boy and he brings so much happiness into my life by just being him. I'm such a lucky Mama and I can't wait to see him become a big brother. 

Appointments Next Week: 2/24/17 monthly OB appointment 

No comments:

Post a Comment