Tuesday, December 29, 2015

New Birth Certificate and SSN

I recently picked up my son's new birth certificate! It was a surreal experience seeing my name listed under "mother" and seeing my son's new name. 

When picking it up, I asked if they needed to see the adoption order. She said, "No, you're the mother. Just need to see your ID." 

Going to the Social Security Office was an adventure... Took 2 hours! I've never been to the SS office before so had no reference on how it all worked. Worse than the DMV! Seriously. But... At the end of the day, we were able to get a new SSN for my son, just waiting for the card to arrive in the mail. 

It still feels so surreal to me. He's MY son! I'm still trying to wrap my head around the "future" - that there is a future with him. 

One day it'll just feel "real" and "normal" to me, I'm sure. It's hard going from worrying every single day that he'll be taken from me, to thinking he's here "forever".  Now, the fears of raising him right are kicking in! Because however he turns out will be on ME! And only me. Oh my... Such a shift in thinking and such a huge responsibility. 

Thinking about my parenting style, what kind of mom I want to be. Am I doing it right? Am I messing him up? Am I spending enough time with him? Am I helicopter parenting? Am I disciplining right? 

All "Normal" parenting worries I'm sure... And I'm so grateful that I have normal parenting things to worry about with him instead of foster parent worries! 

I am so lucky to be his mama :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment