Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Another unsatisfactory court hearing

April must not be my month...

Court was today for my Little Guy. His birth father decided to start participating in services (after 16 months of not participating) and now is trying to get "unsupervised visitations". Which, isn't going to happen since he does not even have a residence yet.

This is what's crazy about this case. The case plan changed in May 2014 - a year ago. There were so many court delays that the case just dragged and dragged and dragged. The entire time, the birth father did not follow the case plan. Then, all of a sudden this month - he decides to change his tune and participate in services. Not 100%, mind you. 

I really don't know what's going to happen at this juncture. The GAL and the Case Manager are basically saying, "A little bit too late." Both are still recommending severance/adoption. There is court arguments about "time in care", since he's been in care for so long and what is considered in my Little Guy's best interest at this point. But who knows how the new judge is going to play it out. I wasn't impressed with her. 

The trial is still scheduled for next month (in 4 weeks). We'll see what happens. Basically, they will testify and do all these things - present their case against the birth parents. Then the judge can either "rule from the bench" that day (which hardly ever happens) or make a decision within 60 days after the trial to sever parental rights. Then, the birth parents can appeal the decision - further delaying permanency. This has the potential to draw out all the way through the remainder of this year if not longer... so disappointing. They set the next Report and Review all the way out to September. 

A child should not be in foster care for 2 years before they find permanency. Not feeling confident about things. I've heard too many horror stories... 

I wish I had good news for a change... this is extremely upsetting. I can't even think of the possibility that they would take Little Guy from the only home he's known... It would be too devastating to imagine. 

So, I'll continue to try to stay positive and just hope it all works out as it should. At a Toastmasters meeting, they read the following quote - which is fitting for today: 

God grant me the serenity 
To accept the things I cannot change; 
Courage to change the things I can; 
And wisdom to know the difference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment