Friday, January 13, 2017

Genetic Results Back = All NORMAL!

Last week I wrote about getting some genetic testing done: 1) Fragile X and 2) the Sequential Screening (2nd trimester test). I received the call yesterday from the genetic counselor and she told me that all the tests were "within normal range."

This is REALLY good!

But... as optimistic as the genetic counselor is, she had to say, "This reduces the risk, it does not eliminate it." Sheesh.

It's weird going through all these tests and the possible doom and gloom just hanging around waiting to either lift or attack. When I got the results, I thought I would be filled with excitement and relief. But I guess after my excitement about the NIPT coming back low-risk and thinking I was "in the clear" from the scare -- I just can't let myself feel too relieved. Like the moment I do, something else will drop in unexpectedly.

I guess the way that the genetic counselor explained it is, these results "lower the overall risk." The PAPP-A results from the 1st trimester screening still are concerning, even though they don't really test for it again after the 1st trimester.

What that means is I'll be closely monitored to make sure my placenta is functioning, that baby boy is getting all he needs from the placenta (growth checks), and that there are no soft markers on any future ultrasounds.

Next up is the anatomy scan on Monday. This should be a long ultrasound, maybe one hour long. They'll check everything and it should give me a good idea of where things stand. I'm nervous about the ultrasound... I just want to get it over with so I'll know how it's gong to end up. Up to this point, baby boy has looked great on all ultrasounds, let's hope that trend continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment