Tuesday, January 31, 2017

21w+3d: MFM Follow-up and Ultrasound

It's been an entire week since my big bleed last week. Thankfully the bleeding/spotting seemed to stop last Friday. But it has been a long week waiting for my ultrasound to make sure everything was OK with baby boy. I'm surprised I handled the wait so well... I'm usually more stressed and worried than I was. I think at this point in my pregnancy, I'm just so tired of all the worry... It's hard to worry "more" or "harder" than I already have. I realize there's nothing I can really do if something is wrong... it almost makes me feel defeated in a way... But worrying endlessly just doesn't help and isn't productive.

Ultrasound

They were running behind at my MFM's office, so my appointment ended up lasting a little over 2 hours. I was worried for the ultrasound and once she got the image up - I couldn't really tell if he was moving - because he wasn't moving much at first. Then all of a sudden he started moving around a ton! Such a relief... He was in a breech position and facing towards my back. The ultrasound tech was trying to get pictures of his brain and heart -- we didn't have much luck with that. He was just too active and wouldn't stay still for her to get any good images. Fetal Heart Tones were at 144 bpm.

It was funny watching him grab his feet and touch his face and hit around. I can't feel a thing when he's moving around and he moves a lot.

She didn't see anything that would have caused my bleed last week. No SCH, cervical length was good, nothing wrong with the placenta, baby boy looked OK. So they have no clue what caused the bleeding.

It was so wonderful seeing my baby looking healthy and moving around like crazy.

Meeting with MFM 

My MFM wasn't thrilled about my food logs or my sugars. Being sick the last two weeks I think really impacted my sugar levels. Also, the stress last week from the bleed really set me back a bit - as far as logging my sugars. But good news, my A1C came back at 5.5%. This is REALLY good. The last time they checked my A1C was in November (see blog entry) and my levels were at a 6.0%. My MFM wants to see A1C under 6.0% during pregnancy, so this is extremely good! Basically, my levels are reading like a non-diabetic.


She was going to add more Humulin R to dinner time meals, but I asked her to wait and see how my sugars regulate now that I'm not sick (since my levels looked awesome right before I got sick and I haven't changed my eating habits).

The only change she made was to my Humulin N in the morning, increasing from 14iu to 16iu. Now I'm on:

AM: Humulin N 16iu + Humulin R 6iu
PM: Humulin N 38iu

My next ultrasound will be in 2 weeks and will be the fetal echo cardiogram. Let's see how that one goes... hopefully baby boy will cooperate and we'll get good images. If not, they'll have to reschedule me.

So far... so good. It was a relief to see baby boy today, especially since he's so active. Feeling a lot better after my appointment :)

No comments:

Post a Comment