Monday, December 19, 2016

Can I breathe now? Redraw of NIPT results are in = LOW RISK!

It's been a weird 2 weeks for me. For one, I feel like I've been holding my breath - like I can't breathe.  On the other hand, I've been moving forward like nothing's changed - preparing for the baby, although cautiously.

I even stopped talking to my son about the baby... just in case.
I didn't order our announcement cards... just in case.

It's like I hit the pause button, but at the same time had to move forward like everything was ok. Such a strange time to guard myself from bad news, but at the same time acting as though I would receive good news.

Everything with my baby, to this point, has turned out ok.

Low-starting betas = baby ok with strong heartbeat and growing right on target
Subchorionic Hemorrhage = baby ok with strong heartbeat and growing right on target
Ultrasounds = baby ok with strong heartbeat and growing right on target

I wanted to believe in my heart that all would be ok, even with all this worry. Because there was no way I couldn't worry!

First Test taken at 11w+3d

Here were the results from the first test. The big item is the "fetal fraction." They need 3.5% or more to give you results. Only about 2% of women get a "no result." This can be due to weight, testing too early (not enough placental DNA in blood stream), or maybe a bad blood sample. 


Retaking the test, they even give you the percentage of IF you would get a result if you take the test again. The odds for me are in the 60 percentile... I wasn't sure if I liked those odds very much. 


Second Test Taken 13w+5d

This time I was able to get the "Kit ID" that came with the packet, so I could check for the results online. I didn't know you could do that, but after the results came back inconclusive last time -- I read a lot of message boards on it and found out this info.

Maybe it's good or maybe it's bad to have access to the results online? Can I admit to being obsessive and checking the website multiple times a day? Well, I did...! Eep. No real rhyme or reason to it. I wish they would post results as they go or something. Updates like, "Almost there" or "2 more days." LOL, although that probably would've drove me nuts as well!

Anyways, initially the website said they'll have the results by 12/20. I'm thinking, "that's so long!!!" But I've heard of results coming back within a week and that's what I was hoping for. My doctor's office told me they were expecting the results anywhere from 12/14-12/16.

The results came on "officially" on 12/15, received a call from my MFM's office on 12/16, but the results didn't post on the Natera website until 12/19.

I was so happy to receive the news.... LOW RISK and I'm having a baby BOY!!!!!!! Here are the official results: 


I have to admit, I was surprised to hear her say "BOY" because I was totally expecting a girl. LOL. Guess my gut was all wrong on the gender! I even had her repeat it twice, "You said boy?" Haha. I guess that predication site was right and the Chinese calendar. I'm guessing the strong heartbeat old wives tale isn't true. 
After I got the news, I wasn't sure how I wanted to let everyone know the gender. Do something special? But I just ended up calling and texting - I couldn't keep it a secret :) 

I'll write a different entry on my thoughts on having a boy. Right now, I just feel so good and relieved and happy that baby boy has low risk for these items. I'm still cautious about being too optimistic, but I'll admit - I'm feeling pretty darn good about things. I'll be even happier after I see my baby boy on the ultrasound this week. 

In other thoughts... I'm wondering if all the monitoring that I've been having is "good" for me or not. I'm not sure I'd do anything different per se... but all my stress hasn't come from the pregnancy itself. The pregnancy has actually been relatively easy for me so far. All the stress has been from the test results (and the waiting). Something to think about and contemplate later I suppose. Right now I'm going to celebrate my baby boy -- who already has a name!! -- and be grateful that as of this moment, all is well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment