Sunday, November 29, 2015

Cycle #7, IVF #1: Stims Day 1

It's that time... The time I've been waiting for --> IVF Ovarian Stimulation. This is where the big stuff for IVF starts happening. I'll stim for 8-10 days. Depending on how I react to it and how well I stimulate - will impact when my Egg Retrieval is. Here's how it works:
  1. I start stims (11/29). 
  2. I will go in on Day #4 of Stims and get blood work (12/2). 
  3. I'll have an ultrasound and more blood work done on Day #5 of Stims (12/3). 
  4. Depending on how these appointments look, I'll get additionally monitoring appointments scheduled (every 1-2 days) and might have to adjust my medication dosage (higher or lower). 
  5. I'll need to start checking the online portal every day starting on Day #4 for any direction changes on my medication dosage. 
  6. Then, they'll tell me when to do the trigger shot. 
  7. They'll schedule the Egg Retrieval (tentatively scheduled for 12/10). 
I enjoyed my last morning cup of coffee yesterday. I have to admit, I was sad to drink my last cup :( Nothing like morning coffee.



Here are the directions on my IVF calendar:
  • No Caffeine, Alcohol, Tobacco. Limit exercise to walking only and avoid heavy lifting. 
  • No Advil, Ibuprofen, Aleve, or Motrin
  • Use Protected intercourse only.

Lupron Update 

I thought I didn't have many side-effects to the Lupron at first. But as I continued to take it, I experienced: Dry skin, acne, short tempered, and some headaches. No fun :( 

Stims: Day #1 

Today begins the IVF cycle. Injectable medication being taken:




Gonal F: 225 iu


Menopur: 150 iu


Lupron: 5 iu

Mixing the meds wasn't too bad. You mixed all three into the Menopur vial and then have only one needle injection: 


I went really slow with the mixing. This is my first time with the Gonal-F pen and combining medications together. Going slowly helped, I think I'll get the hang of it pretty quickly though. 

One rookie mistake I made. I was recapping a needle and the needle pierced the outside of the cap and got my finger! Ugh. This is the FIRST time I've had a mistake with the needle before. Hurt like hell. Thankfully, this happened after I was done with the injections - was just getting ready to put it in the sharps container. 

The injection hurt going in, some burning sensations. Then the site of the injection was a bit tender afterwards. 


Start Medications: 

I had to start a few oral pills as well. 




  • Baby Aspirin: 81 mg
  • Zithromax: 1 pill, 500 mg - for 3 days
Continue
  • Prenatal Vitamins
  • Metformin: 2x's a day, 500 mg
One other thing I'm going to give a shot is using a heating pad on my tummy for 20 minutes a day. My acupuncturist said it'll help and I've read on a few boards that it helps the follicles develop. It can't hurt to give it a try! Also, drink plenty of water. My acupuncturist told me to drink the water at room temperature, not cold. 

How do I feel?

I feel a little disconnected from the IVF process today. It was a long holiday weekend being home full time with the boys. I'm just tired. I have a busy week ahead of me. I wish I knew how all of this is going to turn out. I'm trying not to jump and worry about the end result, as each step in the process is so critical. I also am so worried I'm going to screw up the medication somehow. Hopefully I'll get the hang of things and I'll stimulate well to the meds. 

Next Steps in IVF-Land:
  • 12/1/15: Acupuncture Session #3
  • 12/2/15: Blood work
  • 12/3/15: First Monitoring Appointment (Ultrasound and Blood Work), Acupuncture Session #4
For more details on my IVF process, see my IVF Calendar/Timeline.

No comments:

Post a Comment