Thursday, March 17, 2016

Jobbing: I have my first interview!

It's been one week since being laid off and I feel like I haven't had a moment's rest.

Creating a Jobbing Schedule 

To keep myself organized, I have created a spreadsheet of "opportunities" and submitted applications. I'm also creating a schedule to keep me on track, but also allowing me to do other things - to avoid over-obsessing or getting caught up on the computer for 12 hours at a time. I haven't really been able to implement this schedule due to having a visitor stay with us for my son's baptism and then Munchkin getting sick. But it's in the works when things "calm down." Strange how it's so chaotic all of a sudden.

Job Hunting 

I've been trying to do "target" job hunting, where I'm focused on specific jobs that I know I qualify for or have transferrable skills. Originally I was going to aim more towards "Changing my Career" and totally change directions. But I don't really have the time to do that, with having to support my family. So sticking to what I know and can do is the direction that I'm going.

  • Applications Submitted: 7 
    • Call Backs: 1 
    • Email Confirmation: 1 
    • Interviews: 1 scheduled 

I was so excited when I received my first call back! It was for one of the positions that is a "perfect fit." Plus, it was a "cold application" meaning I didn't have an "in" at the company. I wasn't sure I would hear back at all. I received a call from the recruiter, she went over the position, the salary, then said she would contact the manager and see if she wanted to move forward with an interview. Then a few hours later, they set-up the interview for next week! Seems to be moving fast, but I'm happy about that. I need to really focus on preparing for this interview. It's a great company, a great position, there are growth opportunities. I'm very hopeful, I just need to nail this interview.

Then I received an email confirmation for another job saying that I passed their first screening and qualify for the position. That I may or may not be contacted for an interview. So, we'll see about that one.

There are two positions that I applied for that I had been referred by a friend. I'm really hoping to get call backs on those two positions, as they are also good fits at good companies.

I'm relieved that I have forward movement. I was afraid that I wouldn't get any call backs.

How I'm feeling? 

It's a strange thing being laid off. I feel all this pressure and can easily find myself getting upset vs. being proactive and moving forward. I have a lot of worries of "what if" that I'm trying not to let myself entertain. I'm trying extremely hard to stay optimistic and trying to convince myself that everything will turn out OK.

But it's harder said than done.

I have moments of complete panic, moments of anger, moments of not knowing what to do next, moments where I imagine the worst possible scenario playing out. It's hard to prevent the concern from creeping in every now and then. I could quite possibly worry myself into the ground if i don't stop myself at times. I've been praying a lot. Trying to focus on my blessings. Trying to keep moving forward.

I try to "live in the moment," but there's this "unemployment cloud" following me everywhere making it hard to forget about it, even just for a moment. My friend said to think of it as a "Fun-employment." LOL. I had to give that one a laugh, I wish it could be a "fun" time...

No comments:

Post a Comment