Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Jobbing: My First Interview + Job Search Status

It's been 2 weeks since I lost my job. Tracking my Job Hunting adventures on my blog wasn't expected. I really wanted my blog to be about trying to have a baby and about building my family. Which in a way relates to having a family, since financial stability plays a huge role for a single parent household trying to add to my family. 

Blogging about being laid off is difficult for me, but it's keeping me motivated so I can keep moving forward and trudging along. Here's an update as I finish the 2nd week of unemployment. 

I had my first job interview yesterday! Questions that ran through my mind:

What do I wear? 
How should I style my hair? 
What kind of makeup should I wear? 
Should I wear any jewelry? 
Should I have prepared some typical interview questions?
Will I be able to answer questions on the fly?  
Try not to fidget. 
Try not to look nervous. 
Don't mess with your hair during the interview! 
Don't forget to smile - make sure no lipstick is on your teeth! 

Nervous...? Oh yeah. 

I think the interview went extremely well. I was pretty on top of answering the questions. I did prepare a few questions for them about the position/company ahead of time, which I strategically positioned throughout the interview. I was interviewed by two managers that if offered the position, I would be working directly with. One was very talkative and friendly, liked her from the start. The other one was nice, but not as open - although when he liked what I said, it was very noticeable. 

I did something that I have never done before and that's asking for the job at the end. I basically told them that I would love to work for their company and would be excited for an offer (in so many words). I don't know WHY I did that or what came over me, I'm not normally this aggressive with things. Or maybe I am now, being in fun-employment mode? Who knows. 

I should hear back in a few weeks about the position. I sent my "Thank You" email today to the managers. 

What's great about interviewing is that it gave me some of my confidence back. Being laid off really puts a hit on your confidence level. I now feel much better about my potential to interview and about finding the right fit for me. I don't feel "as" panicked. Although it's still there... that lingering "OMG, WTF am I going to do?!" feeling. It was easy to focus on other things recently with preparing for the interview, my son's baptism, starting my FET cycle, finding jobs to apply for, updating my resume, updating LinkedIn, etc etc etc. 

But NOW, things are starting to slow down and the reality of it all is slowly creeping into the crevices of my mind.  I am freakin unemployed for the first time in forever! I've been working since I was 16 years old. Besides a few months break here and there for transitions in moving (going to college, relocating to a new state) I have been employed for most of that time. It just feels so strange and surreal, in a not good way. Did I ever think I would be here? Maybe. But I don't think I was prepared for the reality of it or expected it to happen right after I adopted my son and when I am trying to have a baby. The timing truly sucks. 

I'm not eating very well. I'm not sleeping very well. I'm trying, but it's just hard to concentrate on those things when all these things feel like they're caving in on me. 

I'm dealing with it the best that I can and going in the right direction to try and find new employment. 

Dear Economy,  
Please do not hit a recession until I find a new job! I would truly appreciate it.  
Thank you!  
Me - Who was recently sent into fun-employment 
Jobbing Updates: by the numbers 
  • Submitted Applications: 15
    • Call Backs: 1
    • Email Confirmations (meet qualifications): 1
    • Interviews: 1
    • Denial Emails: 3
Most of the job applications I've submitted for are really good fits for my qualifications. Some are a bit of a stretch, I have the transferable skills - but not sure I'll make it past the resume screening. Really hoping to hear back from a few more applications this week. Fingers/Toes crossed...!

I thought receiving Denial Emails would sting. They actually don't... I was surprised at one denial email that came back within an hour of submitting my application to a job that I totally qualify for. So either: they have enough candidates to interview, they've already filled the role, they have an internal candidate, or I really just wasn't what they were looking for. That was my only "surprise," but it didn't sting.

Just to add to things, it doesn't look like I'll get my severance package changed. They had packaged me for 11 years of service. I was 2 months from 12 years of service, but HR is saying that they will not change it. I'm contesting it, but it's not looking likely. Bummed and a little PO'd about that. But just have to let it go. I am truly grateful for having a severance package at all... but after the years I've given that company - I guess I expected a little better from them. 

Jobbing To Do's: 
  • I have a bunch of other job positions that I need to vet through. 
  • Still need to look into volunteering. 
  • Look into getting temp work (which might be difficult with my FET cycle)
  • Check into going through a head hunter.  
I truly believe that the right job will come along and that I have a lot to offer a company. I've been praying a lot on this and trying to trust this path will lead me where I am meant to be. I'm trying to Carpe Diem and all that. Trust in God



No comments:

Post a Comment