Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Jobbing: 3 Weeks Unemployed

I can't believe it's been 3 weeks since I was given notice that I would be laid off. Technically, my last "official day" was 3/25. Here's an  update on my Job Hunt.

I was on a good role on applying, then Munchkin got sick last week (Hand/Mouth/Foot disease), so the last week I've been pretty much on "Mommy-Duty" having both kids home with me for a week now. It was a bit of a nice relief on job-focus, to be honest. But it was also stressful because I felt like I should be applying, vetting job requirements, getting out there, etc.

The good news is: I received 2 more call backs last week!

  1. I had a phone interview with the HR recruiter for one. I was only the second candidate that she spoke with. The job is FAR, but I really want it. It's the only position that I have received a call back for that exceeds my salary at my previous job. I'm waiting to hear back if I can get an interview with the hiring manager. 
  2. I had a phone interview with the HR recruiter and she scheduled a phone interview for next week with the hiring manager. The hiring manage is out of state, that's why it's a phone interview vs in-person. The only issue with this job is that they said I was above their salary range for the position. However, the recruiter told me that they're having a really hard time filling the position... So, I may have a good shot at it. 
I'm still waiting for the results of the other interview I had. 

So, I'm making progress - moving forward. Vetting applications, I feel like I've exhausted almost ALL the positions that are within my niche of qualifications. I've started applying for some "stretch" positions - jobs that I have transferrable skills and I know I would be good at - but not sure Ill get call backs for those. 

I'm trying not to entertain the idea of NOT getting a job offer... or not finding a job within my qualifications. But the fear lingers with me in my "worst case scenario" thoughts. 

Unemployment is no joke... It's a scary place to be. I'm trying my hardest to be proactive and positive. I'm also trying not to be too "desperate" to find a new job. But it's hard, so very hard not to panic. 

Moving on and moving forward. Trying my hardest to trust in God that all will be ok. 


Jobbing Updates: by the numbers 
  • Submitted Applications: 27
    • Call Backs: 3
    • Email Confirmations (meet qualifications): 1
    • Interviews: 3 
    • Denial/Role Filled/Cancelled - Emails: 6

1 comment:

  1. Being laid off is one of the worst feelings in the world. It's a scary, eerie feeling. It definitely sounds like you're making progress every day even though you're spending a considerable amount of time taking care of your munchkin. You're doing everything you can during this unfortunate situation and its beyond admirable that you're keeping your composure. I'm sure you'll end up getting a job in very little time if you keep up the hustle. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete