Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Adjusting to New Foster Baby

Some transitions are easier than others! I would rate the transition of Mr. Munchkin to be a little more difficult than usual. A few factors played into that:
  • We were also adjusting to having a friend move in with us. 
  • Munchkin came on a Monday, during the work week - which made it harder to start bonding. It's easier to bond when they arrive on a Friday, since you have the entire weekend to get to know them. 
  • It was just a hectic week already, schedule-wise. Adding a new baby in the mist of everything was a little stressful. 
  • He's not sleeping through the night yet and he's still adjusting to his new environment. 
First night with the boys sharing a room, didn't go that well! The new baby didn't like the crib - at all and kept crying. What was cute, was Little Guy's reaction to it: 
  • He tried talking to the new baby when he was crying. Telling him about the room and pointing things out. 
  • He tried to show him his toy dog. Saying "puppy" and putting it against the crib so the baby can see it. 
  • He tried to rub the new baby's tummy trying to settle him.
Needless to say, the new baby is currently sleeping in my room until I can get him on an 8-10 hour sleep at night schedule. I've tried twice to move him into Little Guy's room with no success. I'll keep trying. He sometimes sleeps really well, 7-8 hour stretches. Other times he's up every 3-4 hours. Not consistent at all. I'm still learning his quirks and his signals. Also trying to figure out why he does well on certain nights compared to others.

Some things Little Guy has done in reaction to the baby:
  • When Munchkin is crying, Little Guy will tell him, "Stop it!" I had to coach him on this one! Now, he sometimes will pat the Baby's head and say, "It's OK". 
  • Little Guy wants to do everything the baby is doing. If baby is sitting and playing in the Boppy Pillow, then Little Guy wants to sit in the Boppy Pillow. If baby is playing in the floor gym matt, Little Guy wants to play on the floor gym matt. If baby is in the swing, Little Guy wants to sit in the swing. If Baby has a chew toy or a pacifier, Little Guy has to take it and put it in his mouth! 
  • Little Guy will dance to the baby music and Munchkin loves it and laughs. 
We are still adjusting, but it's getting better. I think I've tweaked our schedule enough so that I'm giving Little Guy attention and Munchkin is getting face time as well. I am feeling more comfortable having the two of them and balancing my time and adjusting the schedule. 

I'll be happy when the sleep schedule gets better for Munchkin and when the boys can share a room without waking each other up! I'll give it a month and hopefully the schedule will get smoother. In the mean time, I'm constantly adjusting things to try to meet Munchkin where he's at and trying my best to make the transition for him ok. 

No comments:

Post a Comment