Thursday, September 3, 2015

Choosing Donor #2

When I first started this process, I had a hard time choosing a sperm donor. There just seemed to be so many options out there! Choosing a sperm bank was the hardest choice to make. I chose Seattle Sperm Bank (aka European Sperm Bank USA - ESB). They're a little bit smaller, a little bit cheaper, and I have had great customer service from them - they are very responsive.

With Donor #1, I was really happy with my choice and I thought I lucked out. Even when I found his profile, I didn't purchase right away. It took me a few weeks before I actually sucked it up and purchased the donor sperm. I received 4 vials. Now, all those vials are gone. I don't want to stick with the same donor. I figure, maybe it just wasn't meant to be with Donor #1 (obviously).

Choosing a Sperm Bank 

 Now, moving onto a new Donor. I'm going to stick with ESB. I really liked them and plus, the sperm analysis was great for all 4 vials! Knowing that, why risk the chance of changing sperm banks? I also know some SMC's that used ESB and all of them have had good sperm counts. That has to count for something. A CON for using them is, they have a smaller selection. But honestly, I like that it's smaller and there are less choices. Makes it easier to choose a donor (somewhat).

Now that I'm moving on, I haven't decided if I am only going to get 1 or 2 vials of Donor #2.
  • Should I just order 1 vial with hopes that IUI#5 works? 
  • Or order 2 vials to cover IUI#5 and IUI#6? 
The only big PRO in ordering 2 vials, and shipping them both now, is that I save on shipping costs (approx. $180-ish). But I keep thinking, if IUI #5 works -- why waste the extra $600+ on a second vial? Right now I'm leaning towards purchasing 1 vial. I'll stick with the same donor for IUI #5 and #6... but just wait to purchase for #6 (if it comes to that). I might be $180 out in shipping costs, but I can potential save $800+ if IUI #5 works. Playing the odds... let's see how it turns out. If I move onto IVF after that - I'll change donor's again.

I purchased ESB's "All Access Pass" for $50. This covers 3 months of being able to view all profiles, pictures, audio, extended profiles, etc. This would also cover me if/when I get to IVF, my access will still be available to choose Donor #3 (if needed - but let's hope it doesn't come to that).

Search Criteria

Researching donor's is tough... I decided to stick with some strict guidelines to make it easier to narrow it down. Mind you, everyone has different criteria when choosing a donor. It's a very personal choice. For the initial search I entered:
  • Height - Over 6 feet tall. I want to play the odds with height. I'm 5'6 with some Asian blood in me, so want to help up the odds on the height factor. 
  • No Jewish ancestry. I'm not Jewish. I have friends that are Jewish and their heritage is very important to them. I wouldn't want to choose a donor with Jewish ancestry and not be able to provide that to my child. 
  • Has available IUI vials. I want to make sure they have available vials to purchase now and possibly later (for a possible sibling). 
  • Blue or Blue-Green or Brown-Green Eyes. This is a very personal preference. My dad has blue/green eyes. I have brown eyes. Would love to see if the genetic game would give my baby colored eyes. To be fair, I did look at donors that had different eye colors. But I was happy with the # of donors that were narrowed down by adding this criteria. Less donors to choose from = easier choices to make. 
Narrowing Down Choices

Then, once that was narrowed down, I searched the profiles: 
  • No major allergies. I was surprised to see some donors have MAJOR allergies!!! I personally don't suffer from major food/plant allergies, but I know friends that do - and it sucks. Why risk it? 
  • No diabetes. I carry that gene, so trying to help my baby by not choosing a donor that carries it. 
  • Would prefer no strokes, no cancer (especially no breast cancer), no arthritis (my dad has this), no high blood pressure (my dad has this). This is a tough one. Family history is never unblemished where medical conditions are concerned. I also am weary of someone with a really "clean" family history (were they being honest on their profile?). One of my top donor choices had so much in the family medical history, that I didn't go with him. He was perfect in every other way, accept for this area. I think Medical History is so important, as I don't want my child to have a higher possibility of huge medical issues. 
  • Proven donor. Meaning not choosing a donor that doesn't have any reported pregnancies. 
One criteria that I decided not to decide by is education... This was a tough one, because of course I would love for my child to be educated and go to college and be a super genius. However, I don't think that education level really reflects that. There are geniuses that never stepped foot on a campus and are very successful. I went to college with some idiots that were book smart, but not life-smart. So, I decided to leave this one out for this donor choice. All I really want for my kids is for them to be happy and to be good people.

Adding Blood Type to Criteria 

After I narrowed the donors from that list, there were still too many to choose from! So, I added my blood type into the mix. Figured, it wouldn't hurt to choose my same blood type. This further narrowed my search down to 2 potential donors. Between the two of them, they fit almost all the criteria above. Listening to their audio interviews was nice and I'm leaning towards one over the other. Before deciding, I emailed ESB to ask if there are additional pictures of both donors.

After I received the extra photos, it didn't really make it easier to choose! I went with my gut though and chose the donor that appealed to me more. I smiled while listening to his audio interview and his pictures made me smile as well. He also seemed a little more genuine on his answers / responses in the essay.

The Purchase

I decided to go with purchasing 1 (one) vial of donor sperm. If cycle #5 doesn't work, I'll purchase another vial of Donor #2 next month. He has plenty of vials available, so I'm not worried he would get sold out between now and then. If for some reason he does, I'll just go with my second choice for Cycle #6. Total Cost: $815. Want to know how much I've spent total in the process? Click here.

Now, the precious vial of baby-making sperm is on its way to my RE's office.

Expected delivery: 9/10/15.  

Fingers crossed that the one sperm that can inseminate one of my eggs is in that vial. 

No comments:

Post a Comment