Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Hawaii Trip, Day #6: Dole Plantation and North Shore

Today was an adventure! We were up early and I decided to have breakfast in the hotel. It was OK... not the best considering the cost for the continental breakfast. I don't know if I will do the hotel breakfast again. Overpriced and just not appetizing.

Dole Plantation 

After breakfast, we picked up a beach chair and towels for our day trip to the North Shore area. We started the drive to the Dole Plantation and it wasn't too bad, not much traffic. I was really excited about this portion of the trip, as I was hoping Little Guy would enjoy riding the Pineapple Train and I couldn't wait to see how he liked the Dole Whip! 

When we arrived, the first thing we did was get a Dole Whip! At first, Little Guy wasn't so sure about the whole thing. Then, after a few bites - he really liked it! 

After we finished the Dole Whip, we rode the Pineapple Express Train

This is a 20 minute train ride around the plantation. It was very informative! Unfortunately, Little Guy was getting grumpy while we were waiting to board the train. Grumpy toddler + trying to escape while riding a train = kind of a stressful train trip for Mom. I don't think he really realized we were "on" the train! He was excited when he saw it, but I think he's still too young to realize these things. 

Afterward, we tried to do the Pineapple Maze. Bad idea! Right at that time it got extremely hot and we were both miserable with little shade to hide under. I mean, I was dripping sweat - it was so humid. Yuck. I decided it was time to buy some souvenirs (so we can hang out in the AC) and then have lunch. 

A few years ago I started collected Christmas Ornaments for each of the trips I went on. One of my friends did it and I thought it was a fabulous idea. I used to collect shot glasses - but those are harder to "display" year-round. I bought a Christmas ornament that says "Our Ohana" on it with our names :) It'll be our first "Family C" ornament for our tree this year. 

I wasn't too thrilled with the lunch we had at the Dole Plantation... I think I just ordered the wrong thing. Other menu options looked really good. Ours just wasn't very tasty. After lunch, it was time for the beach! 

North Shore 

North Shore is really close to the Dole Plantation. I have to tell you, the view from the road driving to the North Shore is amazing! So beautiful!!!


 I had a destination in mind, but I ended up detouring to a different beach. The drive was so beautiful and the ocean was picture perfect blue. Amazing. I drive up most of the North Shore until we reached a less populated beach. That's where I decided we would "hang out" for the rest of the afternoon. The waves were too rough for Little Guy to go in, so he just played in the sand. 

I have to admit, traveling with a toddler can be tiring - as I have to carry EVERYTHING! The toddler + all the beach stuff (chair, towels, cooler, backpack, toys, etc). So getting to the beach and leaving the beach are the tiring parts. Sitting there watching Little Guy play in the sand is the joyful / relaxing portion of the beach trip :) 

The drive back was LONG! Over an hour long to get back to the hotel. But the view... wow - the view!!! I wish there were more turn offs or scenic stops not his route. I would have stopped so much to take some pictures of the stunning landscape. Breathtaking. 

Although I was enjoying the views from the road, Little Guy wasn't having it! About 45 minutes until we reached the hotel -- he started whining and whined all the way to the hotel. Joy-joy. 

With the busy day - neither of us really got a good "nap" in!!! When we got back to the hotel, I gave Little Guy a bath - then we were off to dinner at the lobby cafe. Then off to sleep for us! 

Long day driving, but got to see a lot of Oahu that I haven't seen before. 

Best part of the day: The scenic route. 

Least favorite part of the day: Carrying all the stuff back to the car after the beach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment