Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Road Trip Last Thoughts

I really enjoyed going to Disneyland and Disney California Adventure! It's been a long time since I've really gone to the parks to explore. I grew up in Southern California and used to go to the parks all the time. I think it's been at least 5 years since I've went to the parks for more than just a few hours at a time. It was really fun going and seeing things from my adult eyes and seeing Little Guy experience it for the first time.

I had a good time seeing my God Daughter and being there for her graduation.

Packing: I didn't over pack! I packed just about enough clothes. I did bring a little bit too much snack items though. 

Driving: The drives went well! The TV's worked out perfectly. The kids had enough distractions to keep them occupied. We didn't have to stop more than I wanted to. 

The Parks: I think we got to see and explore the parks enough. Although, another day at Disneyland would have been nice (but may be too tiring). 

The Beach: The beach was nice and relaxing! This was a good thing to do with small kids. 

Character Breakfast: Glad we did the Character breakfast! But won't be doing PCH Grill again.

Hotel: The hotel was in the perfect spot. I loved the location and the walking distance to the parks. The extra $$ was worth it, IMHO. Especially when you have little kids. If I didn't have little kids,  I probably would've opted to take the shuttle at a hotel further away. But with kids, the convenience and the ease of going back to the hotel for nap time - was totally worth it.  

Toddlers: Little Guy is a great traveler! He adjusts really well and didn't have any meltdowns (that weren't age-appropriate). He loves to explore and preferred to walk and go where he wanted to go (which caused some issues when he had to ride in the stroller). 

Little Miss... this trip was too much for her. No matter what precautions were taken, it didn't help subside her complete and utter meltdowns. 

As a foster parent, I can see that she was over stimulated. But also as a foster parent, I travel a lot... and I've always included my foster kids in my travels. I've never had a foster child react like this before. Yes, there were breakdowns by other kids, but not to this extreme. It was overwhelming and frustrating. 

They tell you in MAPP training to not judge the behaviors, to think about what has led to the behaviors. Yes, I know - she was over stimulated. Should I have left her at home in respite? After leaving her in respite for a week while we were in Hawaii (I booked that trip prior to Little Miss moving in with me)? It's a hard thing being a foster parent sometimes and dealing with these extreme behaviors... especially when you're on vacation and spending a lot of money! I wanted to include her, do something nice for her before she left... 

Hindsight is 20/20. I should have just left her in respite. But there's no way for me to have predicted the extremity of her meltdowns. It was so bad, I've never seen her like this for the time that she's lived with me. I'm going to put her in respite this weekend, because I seriously need a break from her right now. It was so exhausting. After she leaves, I'm not going to be taking any more foster kiddos -- I need a break! 

Overall, it was a good and fun trip. Lots going on, but I think the pre-work helped with some of the potential pit-falls of going to a theme park.

Sweet Part of the Trip: Seeing Little Guy enjoy himself and have fun. 

Sour Part of the Trip: Little Miss's Tantrum Parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment