Thursday, June 4, 2015

Hawaii Trip, Day #8: Travel Day -- Headed back to the Mainland!

Time to head home!!! I have to say, I was excited about going home. I loved our trip, but there comes a time when all you want to do is sleep in your own bed, let your toddler run around in a child-proof home, and just relax. I seriously need a vacation from my vacation! 

First, we packed and put everything in the car. When I say "we" - I mean me carrying a toddler in a baby carrier and lugging all of our junk through the hotel and elevator to the car. After we had the car loaded and ready, we checked out. Here's Little Guy saying "bye bye" to the Koi Fish. 


All in all, I was really satisfied with the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani. The resort fee is charged at all the hotels there, but I really liked what it covered (parking, 2 bottles of water/day, beach towels, beach chair, family photo). It wasn't fun facing the construction, but there's so much construction around the area anyways. Overall, satisfied. I loved the location, we were close to everything. Maybe a 3.5 stars out of 5? 


After we checked out, we went to our favorite breakfast spot Keoni by Keo. Then, it was time to head to the airport EARLY - so I wouldn't stress out! Also, to tire Little Guy out. 

Since I had such an "adventure" arriving in Honolulu, I decided to go about things a little differently for heading home. The game plan: 
  • Park in the terminal, check in luggage. 
  • Return rental car. Take shuttle back to the airport. 
  • Go through security. 
  • Let Little Guy run his little heart out. 
This plan worked out EXTREMELY well!!! Checking luggage before returning the rental car helped with the issue of loading all the luggage on the rental car shuttle back to the terminal. Saved me a lot of stress. Plus, check out the view from the terminal parking lot! What was awesome is that there were some military fighter jets in the air and Little Guy was fascinated with how fast they were going! I'll have to remember this for the future, maybe watch an air show one day. 



Since we got to the airport so early, Little Guy was free (for the most part) to wonder around. He played with luggage carts, played with pay phones (can you believe they have pay phones?!), talked to people, ran away from me as fast as he could, played on the computer, etc. 






Last views of Hawaii from the plane. 




You'd think that would tire him out? Well, it did! But it didn't really help on the plane ride home. He only slept for maybe 10 minutes on take off and was up the entire trip back home. Cranky toddler on the plane. That was us! 

Just to add to the "fun" of air travel with children. We arrived at our home airport right on time, like on the dot. Then, there was an issue with the jet bridge! We had to wait about 25 minutes on the plane before they could get the doors open to let us out. Joy-joy. Just got to roll with it. 

Regardless, it was nice arriving home. Our friend was kind enough to pick us up and our dog was happy we were home! 

Best part of the day: breakfast at Keoni by Keo's. 

Worst part of the day: Toddler meltdowns on airplanes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment