Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Transitioning to a Toddler Bed

It was finally time... time to transition my Little Guy from the crib to a "toddler bed"! He's been trying to climb out of his crib for awhile now. He's been unsuccessful. Then, last week he managed to climb out of his crib at daycare! We went on vacation and he kept climbing out of the pack-n-play. When we got back, he tried climbing out of his crib!! I caught him before he fell, he was balancing on his tummy halfway in the crib and halfway out.

That's when I decided: Time to Transition! 

I had no intentions of transitioning Little Guy to a toddler bed until he was 2 or 2 1/2. I'm bummed it's so early - he's only 18 months! But it's better to be safe than have him climb out and hurt himself. 

The crib I have converts to a toddler bed. I didn't think I had all the parts, but I was able to find them all and convert it. 



When bed time comes, I introduce Little Guy to new "bed". Little Guy is excited he can climb in and out of bed. We do our normal bed time routine and time for "ni-ni". Little Guy thinks it's funny he can get out. When I leave the room, he starts to scream and follows me. I decide to stay in the room by his bed. Every time he tries to get out, I say "no" and put him back. 

Soon, every time I say "no" he goes back by himself. So, I start moving away from his bed - getting closer to the door. He's getting good at going back in bed by himself when I say "no". So I move outside the bedroom door (where he can still see me). This freaks him out and he screams and chases me. I bring him back to bed and go back by the door. He finally stays in bed when I say "no". 

Then, I start closing the door a little at a time. He's still staying in bed and crying - but he's not getting out. 

Finally, the door is only a crack wide! He stays in bed and finally falls asleep! I close the door all the way. 

Total Time: 1 hour. 

The true test: Did he stay in bed all night?

Little Guy actually did pretty well!!! He fell out of bed once and fell asleep on the floor. I went in and put him back in bed. Then, he woke up at 2:30am and wondered out crying. I brought him back to bed, took about 15-20 minutes to get him settled back to bed. Then he woke up at 5:30 and came into my room, but he made sure to grab his "dog" plush toy beforehand :)

Let's see how tonight goes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment