Sunday, August 2, 2015

Flying without Baby

Last week I went on a business trip and flew without my son. It's so strange leaving my son and being so far away from him. I now have these fears of leaving him, of something happening to me and being unable to get back to him. Silly fears that I never really had before.

Traveling without a kid is so different than traveling with a kid! I was able to: 

  • Not carry so much. 
  • Not sweat through security or feel like hurrying. 
  • Read a book during the flight. 
  • Take a nap during the flight. 
  • Work on blog entries during the flight (like this one!) 
  • Actually relax! 
Even though it was easier, I couldn't help but feel so "empty" without his hugs, his kisses, his laugh. I missed him so much, like I was missing a limb or something. 

The worst part was picking him up and seeing him for the first time in 4 days. He didn't want to make eye contact with me and he cried :(  Daycare says that's good, that it means he's attached and was sad I was gone... But it doesn't feel that way. It actually made me cry! I missed him so much and he didn't want to go to me. Broke my heart. I could only imagine how he felt being away from me for that long. It took him a little bit to get back to normal with me. 

I hate leaving him. At least I know I don't want a job that requires a lot of trips out of town. In my current position, we only have this one trip a year (thank goodness!). 

So, I'll take the stressful flights, the sweating madness, the extra bags of "stuff" with traveling - as long as he's with me. Being away from my son just sucked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment