Friday, October 9, 2015

IUI Cycle #6: Follicle Stimulation and Mid-Cycle Ultrasound

I have hope that this cycle will be successful. Maybe lucky #6? I remember when I had my first consult with my RE, when I was still deciding between medicated vs unmediated IUI's. In hindsight, I'm glad I opted for medicated from the beginning. With having such a hard time getting pregnant, I would've wasted those cycles. 

At the initial consult, we briefly discussed insurance not covering fertility treatments until 6 failed medicated tries (for >35). He then said that maybe the insurance companies know what they're talking about because he had a patient that got pregnant on her 6th IUI. Strange to think that I'm here on my 6th IUI now. I remember thinking that it wouldn't take me that many cycles to get pregnant... Oh the naivety and optimism I had early on thinking that it would be "easy" to get pregnant. Tsk tsk.  

Hopes for this Cycle 

Here's what I'm hoping for from the mid-cycle ultrasound: 4 mature follicles >17mm and lining >7mm. 

CD 3-7, Clomid 150 mg 


This is my 6th and final cycle of Clomid and my highest dose. I have to say, the hot flashes were more like being overheated. All. The. Time. Oh the joy of Clomid.  I was like a walking inferno. Blah. Clomid is no joke. It was also harder for me to swallow these pills this go around. Not sure why, they just felt dry and would get stuck in the back of my throat. Yuck. I normally don't have a problem with taking pills. Maybe it's a mental thing? 

I was really emotional on the Clomid as well. Quick to cry over any thoughts about the upcoming Adoption of Little Guy :) 

CD 8-10, FSH Injectable Gonal-F 75iu

This is my second cycle on Gonal-F. As it turns out, the pharmacy never told me I had to refrigerate the Gonal-F! So, last cycle I didn't refrigerate it. Ugh. I don't think it made a difference, as far as follicle stimulation goes, as I still had 3 follicles in Cycle 5. But it would've been good to know! This cycle, it's sitting in the refrigerator.

The first injection is always the hardest. I don't know what it is about the 1st injection, but I always hesitate. I let the Gonal-F sit outside the refrigerator for about 20 minutes, so that it wasn't too cold. Then, I mixed and injected. Same burning sensation when the medicine went in and the plunger was hard to push in. Other than the normal "giving myself injection" thing, it went relatively quickly.

Second and third injections went much more quicker and I didn't hesitate as much. 

Mid-Cycle Ultrasound Results

I had my mid-cycle Ultrasound today.

I wasn't that happy with the results of the ultrasound. But at the time of the ultrasound, I still had one final Gonal-F injection and the follicles still have a few days to grow (they grow 1-2 mm a day).
  • Right ovary: 16mm, 12mm. The 12 is a "potential" one. If it grows 1-2 mm a day, it can get to maturity and release with the other ones. 
  • Left ovary: 16mm, 9mm. The 9 is probably not going to catch up. 
  • Uterine Lining: 6.49 mm. Should be >7. The lining should continue to get thicker until IUI day, so nothing to worry about that it's under 7. 
So, even with the increase in the Clomid to 150mg, I still had the same reaction to the meds -- 3 follicles. Which was disappointing. I was hoping for the stimulation to result in a better reaction. But, as I've learned in the process - there's really nothing I can do about it at this juncture. Just have to roll with it and hope for the best. 

IVF Preparation 

It's weird "prepping" for IVF when I'm in the middle of an IUI cycle. But surprisingly, it's a good thing that I am or else I probably would've had to wait until 2016 to do one cycle. We discussed jumping right into IVF if IUI #6 doesn't work. If I get a negative this cycle, this is how it would go down: 
  • I need to call on CD#1 and schedule a CD#3 ultrasound. They'll check for cysts and then put me on Birth Control. 
  • I'll need to call my insurance and get the approval codes for infertility coverage... 
  • IVF Consult to go over procedure / costs / etc. 
  • Take meds. 
  • Egg retrieval week of Dec 7
  • Egg transfer week of Dec 14. 
Let's see how things go down. I'm really hoping #6 is successful and I can cancel all the IVF appointments. I've been really worried about doing IVF. Now... I'm not as nervous. I feel OK about it. I think it's actually better because if #6 doesn't work, I will at least have better % chances of IVF working. Plus, knowing if the egg fertilized would be nice... There's also other options of testing the embryos (PGD testing). Not sure I'm going to do the PGD testing, will have to get costs (I don't think insurance covers that). 

Either way, I'm feeling optimistic about try #6 and I'm feeling content with moving towards IVF if #6 doesn't work. After all is said and done, I'll figure out next steps. Right now this is the game plan.

I also told my RE about my upcoming adoption of Little Guy :) I've spoken about Little Guy before, so he knew that it was possible I could adopt him. I shared the good news about adopting on National Adoption Day. I also told him about Munchkin coming to live with us. It was kind of weird talking to my RE about my kids when I'm trying hard to have one. I wonder if he's thinking, "Why do you want a baby if you already have 2 kids?"

Well, with foster care you never know what's going to happen with the case. Little Guy is my #7 foster child and he's my first adoption. Munchkin is my #9 foster child and it's too early to see how his case is going to go. I've mentioned it before, but I want to give Little Guy a sibling... I've also always wanted to get pregnant and have a birth child - just as much as I've always wanted to be a foster parent and how I've always wanted to adopt :) All are equally important and precious to me.

I'm extremely blessed to be adopting my Little Guy and I feel grateful to have Munchkin with us (for as long as he stays). I would've moved forward with TTC Baby C either way, once I turned 35. I always planned to take this path eventually. I'm glad I'm trying... I don't know if I would've been happy with my life if I haven't at least tried to have Baby C. I have no clue how this will all end... If I'll have a baby at the end of this... or if I won't. But, I'm glad I'm doing all I can do - so that I'll have no regrets at the end of all this. 

Fingers crossed that things work out this cycle. If you have any baby dust to spare, I would appreciate you sending some my way! :) 

Next Steps:
  1. Trigger Shot: 10/11/15 @ 10:30 p.m.
  2. IUI: 10/13/15 @ 10:30 a.m. 
  3. Beta Test: 10/27/15 
  4. IVF Consult: 11/9/15 @ 4:00 p.m. 

No comments:

Post a Comment