Monday, October 5, 2015

Adoption Update: Meeting with Lawyer

It felt like it took forever to get to this point in the adoption process. Although in "reality" the adoption process has gone relatively quickly since parental rights were severed in June. Normally takes about 6 months to adopt after severance has happened. I'll be adopting 5 months after severance. I suppose it's felt long because to even get to the termination of parental rights, it took 18 months due to drawn out court hearings.

But we are finally getting there! It's starting to feel *real*, that I'll get to watch Little Guy grow up. It's such an emotional experience and hard to put my feelings in writing. I will try to write an entry on my feelings around the adoption a bit later. 

I was highly emotional in the morning thinking about finally getting to meet with the adoption lawyer and request NAD for our adoption date. I can blame it on the Clomid, but I think it's really just a relief and feeling of "I can't believe I'm here". I was a blubbering mess waiting to drive to my appointment. 

The Meeting 

I had to bring a few items with me: drivers license, my fingerprint clearance, and a copy of my Adoption Certification. The rest of the documents were provided by the Adoption Case Manager. The meeting went relatively quick. We discussed subsidy in detail: monetary monthly subsidy, medical subsidy, dental subsidy, and mental health subsidy -- and how they all work as either a primary or secondary insurance. The State has a few different plans that Little Guy can be placed with, which I could change if needed. What's interesting to note is that if we relocate to another State, that there are a few states that won't provide health care coverage. Luckily, I'm not planning to move to any of those states!

Action Items: Check with current providers and determine which of the State insurances they accept. Also, need to check if they accept my health care provider as well.

Then we discussed when I would receive his new birth certificate and how to request a new Social Security Number.  There was some discussion about the Adoption Tax Credit, which I guess I'm going to have to learn about when I file taxes.

I signed some paperwork. What's great about adopting from foster care is that there are no legal costs, as the costs are all covered by the State.

Then, we discussed National Adoption Day (NAD)! I signed the paperwork requesting NAD. We walked through the entire day, how things would go down. The actual "ceremony" will only last about 10 minutes. I'll have to be sworn in. We can video record (Yay!). We can get pictures with the judge afterwards. Little Guy will get a goody bag. We'll have a professional photo done. I'll receive the Adoption Decree prior to leaving - making everything LEGAL. We even discussed ways to help distract Little Guy during the ceremony! Let's see how he'll do :)

I should have the actual TIME of the hearing by the end of the month. Which is great, so that I can actually order my adoption invitations (Yay again!).

So, I was a bit emotional during the meeting... but was doing REALLY well at not tearing up and crying like a baby. I almost cried when I got to see his birth certificate. It may sound weird, but I haven't seen it before and to actually see it was nice. I now have a copy for him to have when he's older. The real tear starter was when we were going through how the adoption ceremony was going to go - and she got to the end where the judge says something (can't remember what now) -- and the adoption is finalized. That's when I started crying like a baby! LOL. I've been picturing that moment for so long now and it's so hard to believe that in a little less than 7 weeks -- we'll be there -- in the court room -- and it'll all be OFFICIAL. It's so hard to believe.

The lawyer was talking about when Little Guy starts kindergarten... and I couldn't believe I actually get to be there for all that. Then she started talking about when Little Guy graduates High School and when he turns 18, how all the subsidies work with that. I couldn't believe it - I get to see him grow up. I will be there on his first day of school. I will be there when he graduates High School. I'll get to watch all his milestones. I'll get to watch him become a young man. It's such a surreal feeling, I don't know if it'll ever feel "normal" to not worry about someone taking him from me. I just can't believe how blessed I am to be chosen to be his mama. I love him so much, he just brightens my world.

I also received a copy of the official severance documents. What's scary is that although the findings from our May hearing were to sever rights, the actual signed "judge order" to sever rights wasn't signed until JULY! I didn't know that... I thought it was signed in June. So, technically the birth parents could have appealed the decision all the way into August. I had no idea. If they appealed, I would not have been able to adopt this year, it would have delayed it until sometime in 2016.

Well, it's neither here nor there... but how crazy is that.

Next Steps: Good news - I'm done with paperwork! Woohoo! :) 
  • Wait for Adoption Subsidy to get approved
  • Meet with Adoption Case Manager to go over last minute items. 
  • Show up to court on National Adoption Day where my Little Guy will become my Forever Son!!!!!! 
Now, thinking about: Adoption Finalization Party Planning, What we are going to wear to the adoption, and deciding if I will take adoption leave from work. I can take up to 12 weeks... deciding how much of this time I'll take. 

No comments:

Post a Comment