Friday, February 5, 2016

IVF #2 (Cycle 8): And the shots begin...!

Just like that, it's time to start giving myself shots again! 

I started my 20 iu of Lupron yesterday. I have to give myself shots 2x's a day. I chose 9am and 9pm, thinking those times would work best in my schedule. Gosh, doing the shots at 9am really has been a bit stressful! I work from home, but yesterday and today - I got stuck on conference calls. I found myself scrambling to run downstairs and inject myself. Hopefully next week won't be as bad (work-wise). Evenings are golden and not a problem (thus far). 

I have to admit that it's been a little hard to stab myself again! My heart starts racing and I have to take a few deep breathes. Luckily, the Lupron needle doesn't hurt and it also doesn't burn going in. That's going to change with the stims... But at least I'll have a few under my belt with the Lupron and hopefully it won't be an issue. 

Lupron Shot 20 iu 

I start my stims tomorrow with twice a day injections. 

Morning: 
  • Lupron 20 iu 
  • Menopur 75 iu 
  • Gonal-F 150 iu

Evening: 
  • Lupron 20 iu 
  • Menopur 75 iu
  • Gonal-F 225 iu 
Also: 
  • Start Baby Aspirin (81 mg) 
  • Start Zithromax Tripak: 3 days with food 
  • Start Dexamethasone (1.0 mg) until retrieval 
To be a little more organized with the process, I made 2 baggies for the supplies for the morning/evening injections. 



Inside Baggie: 
  • 4 alcohol swabs (one for my skin and 1 for each medication) 
  • Menopur vials (saline solution and powder) 
  • Mixing Needle 
  • Injecting Needle 
  • Lupron Needle 
  • Gonal-F Needle 
What's Inside
I didn't really have to do this last time, since it was only 1 shot a day in the evenings. I have my supplies upstairs and then the Lupron and Gonal-F are in the refrigerator downstairs. So, I put all the non-refrigerated stuff in the baggies and then bring them down to the kitchen each morning. If I have to do an injection "on the go" - it'll be really easy to pack up and go.

Technically, I could probably section the entire stim days out. But, each evening I like resupplying the baggies -- keeping myself connected with where I am in the stim process. Plus, it doesn't really take much time to gather.

I also think I'm going to get a period. The nurse said I may/may not have a period after stopping the birth control. I think that I am going to get it. My last birth control pill was on Monday (2/1)

Since I am starting stims tomorrow, I had my last cup of coffee this morning.... Sad, so sad...


Directions are the same as IVF #1 including: 
  • No Caffeine, Alcohol, Tobacco. 
  • Limit Exercise to walking only and avoid heaving lifting. 
  • No Advil, Ibuprofen, Aleve, or Motrin 
  • Use protected intercourse only. 
The no caffeine thing is going to be the hardest part... I put away my Keurig this morning so I wouldn't look at it longingly. 

Just to think... I'll know next week whether or not the stims are working and if I'll make it egg retrieval. In two weeks, I'll know more about egg transfer... If all goes well and as planned, I'll know in about 4 weeks whether or not this IVF cycle has been successful. 

Fingers crossed and praying really hard...! 


Next Steps: 
  1. Saturday, February 6: Start Stims and acupuncture appointment. 
  2. Tuesday, February 9: First Blood Draw (Day 4 of Stims) 
  3. Wednesday, February 10: First monitoring appointment (Day 5 of Stims)
For more details on my IVF process, see my IVF Calendar/Timeline.

No comments:

Post a Comment