Tuesday, February 23, 2016

IVF #2 (Cycle 8): Embryo Transfer Day!!!

My embryo transfer was yesterday! I meant to write yesterday, but I was just too tired. Here's how it all went down. Sorry in advance, it's going to be a long read - it was a long day!

The Night Before 

It was really hard not to think and wonder what the Embryo Transfer (ET) would be like. So, I went to the Internet and started reading blogs on ET days. I found this extremely funny one, by Daddy Dazed, that had me laughing so hard! After I read that one, I felt good enough to go to sleep. All the other blogs were so serious and emotional, but that one just made me feel good - that you can find humor in the small things and it can be a little "lighter" if you let it. I was not under any illusion that I would be lighthearted and carefree for my ET! I would be more on the "serious and emotional" side of the blogging - hence my Pre-Embryo Transfer post.

Prior to my Embryo Transfer 

I spent the morning trying not to think about things. I focused on work and got a lot done, so I could leave early for my transfer. But I just couldn't get my mind from wondering how many embryos made it to Day 5 and what types of decisions that I would have to make.

My ride arrived at 11am on-the-dot! Love it! My friend drives a corvette and I have to say... I was a little worried I wouldn't make it to my ET, he's a bit of a "free" driver in that little car. LOL. But we made it, of course, and I'm forever grateful for his graciousness. I told him about my entire TTC journey and how long I've been trying. We also got to catch up on his life, which was wonderful - as we haven't had time lately to really catch up.

Arriving at the Clinic 

We arrived at the clinic early, love-love-love. Have I ever mentioned that I HATE being late. I don't even like to be "right on time". I like to be EARLY, 15 minutes at least, prior to whatever time I need to be somewhere. Otherwise, I start to stress out a little bit! I know, it's weird. I totally got this from my dad. He was early for every single thing. I used to hate it because he would drag me and my brother out of the house so darn early, just to get there before places even opened, so we can get in and out before everyone else. Now I'm sure my kids are going to hate it when I do the same thing to them :)

OK, I'm rambling. But yes, we got there early and on time! I started working on my required 24oz of water I needed to drink prior to the ET. Right at NOON, I took the Valium (to help relax the uterus). I didn't really notice any impact the Valium had on me, I think it actually helped relax me a little as I was giggling a lot!

Prepping and Acupuncture 

Right after I took the Valium, my acupuncturist arrived and the nurse called me back for prepping. My clinic = always on time! Love-love :)

Back in the prepping room, I had to undress (everything except my bra) and put on one of those lovely and flattering hospital gowns, little booties over my feet, and a hair net. I had to sign more paperwork and waivers. Does anyone read these the day of a procedure? I've read them prior, since they came in my IVF packet, but I just wonder... I read legal jargon at work and I couldn't help but wonder, "Maybe I really should read this thoroughly?" But what was I going to do, not go through with the ET? Must've been the Valium making me loopy. They also checked my heart rate and my blood pressure, both which where perfect.

After I signed my life away (again), it was time for my pre-ET acupuncture. What's great about my acupuncture is that she has a wonderful relationship with my fertility clinic. My RE actually recommended her when I had my IVF consult back in November. Since they have a good relationship, I was able to do the acupuncture on-site vs. having to go to my acupuncture's office.

I've had acupuncture a few times, but I've never had a needle on my head or in my ears! OUCH! Like really, that dang little needle hurt like hell going into my ears! Wasn't this supposed to relax me? Sheesh. After all the needles were in, I got to sit there with my thoughts. What I love about acupuncture, is even though those darn needles don't feel the best going in -- I always feel relaxed afterwards (or it could've been the Valium?). After maybe 20-30 minutes, my acupuncture was over and it was time to wait for my RE and the Embryologist to come in with the report on how my little ones were doing.

Fertilization Report and Decisions 

This is the part I was extremely anxious about: how many embryos survived to Day 5? Here's how my 7 did:
  • 1 - cell 4, hasn't continued to divide. 
  • 1 - cell 5, hasn't continued to divide. 
  • 3 - early blastocyst, but not where they want them yet. They are giving these one more day to develop to see if they can make it to freeze. 
  • 2 - full/expanded blastocyst - these were recommended for transfer. Both are "Grade 2". My clinic ranks embryos from 1-4, with 1 being high. They said that both Grade 1's and Grade 2's lead to viable pregnancies. 

I was hoping for a better result, but knew that if I had only 1 or 2 good ones - I would be happy with that! This is where I had to make some choices: Transfer 1 or Transfer 2

I decided I would only transfer 1 and freeze the second one. My reasons: 
  • I have a toddler 
  • I'm not sure how my body would handle a twin pregnancy, how would that impact my son AND work if I was on bed rest or if I delivered early? 
  • They said the risk of twins with the quality of my embryos would be 30%!! EEK. That was way higher than I thought it would be. 
So, I went with one. 

After I made the decision, they showed me the picture of my little embie blast that would be transferred! Is it strange to be totally enraptured by a picture of a ball of cells? I totally was! I just kept starring at it in awe. God is truly a miracle worker, it's amazing how any of us are here today. 

I then had to sign MORE paperwork, then it was time for the TRANSFER! 

My Transfer Experience 

The nurse staff came in to take me to the procedure room. I have to say - the RE, the Embryologist, the nurses - were all so excited and happy! It was contagious! The nurses wheeled me on the stretcher to the procedure room, then I had to walk into the procedure room from there. It was the same room that I had my Egg Retrieval in. I went to the table, put my legs in the stirrups, and then the "magic" started to happen.

What I didn't realize is that the lab - where they harvest the eggs - is connected to the retrieval room! How cool is that? They had a lot of "checks". They checked to make sure that the embryo had my name on it.

Then the RE got me ready. The lifted up the table, which was weird, my crotch was at the RE's eye-level... with a bright light shining on my lady bits. RE put in the speculum and cleaned my cervix, very similar to my IUI's or a Pap Smear. My hospital gown was pulled up so I was really "out there" from the waist down, as they had to put an ultrasound machine on my tummy for guidance. Here's a picture of what it all looks like: 


My RE said something really funny about the embryos being "cultured," but can't remember the exact saying! The atmosphere was light and happy and exciting - but at the same time, everything was precise and accurate. How wonderful a team they are! After everything was cleaned and the ultrasound was in place, it was time for more double checks as the Embryologist came in with my little embie blast in the catheter! 

I had the nurse, my RE, and the Embryologist all watching my lady bits as the catheter went in. I could watch it all on the TV, which showed the ultrasound picture. I saw the catheter go in and was waiting to see the embryo leave the catheter, I was afraid to blink - that I would miss it! But I didn't really see it go in, they showed me where it was and I have a picture, but I totally can't see what they're talking about. LOL. 

After the embryo was placed in my uterus, we waited for a few seconds, then they withdrew the catheter. The Embryologist took the catheter back to the lab to verify the embryo was no longer in there. With the double check, we were all done! I got a lot of well-wishes, and best of luck from the staff. They transferred me back to the stretcher and reclined me, where my legs were up in the air. Didn't expect that! I kind of felt like I was on a roller coaster ride with all the moving and reclining of tables while I was on them! 

Being wheeled back to my room, in a recline position, was strange... 

Post-Embryo Transfer Acupuncture 

I had to have the acupuncture in this reclined state with my bladder full! She put the needles back in my ear -- OUCH, hurt that time too. I stayed reclined with the acupuncture needles for about 20 minutes. Then, it was finally time to go vertical, release my bladder (Yay), and get dressed. 

Going Home 

They wheeled me out in a wheel chair to my friend's car. We drove home. Where I sat on the couch, watched some TV (Walking Dead!) and read a little. I was tired early, so went to sleep pretty early (for me). 
Beautiful Day to make a baby!
I still can't believe I have a little embryo sitting in my uterus...! I am beyond in awe of this entire process and how any of this is possible. Technology can be a truly miraculous thing. At this point, I'm trying to stay positive and give it to God. Trying not to be anxious... But will see how successful I am at that! Right now, I'm trying to be optimistic and happy that I made it this far. 
I'll receive my freeze report later today on how the rest of my little ones are doing and if they make it to freeze. The Embryologist said she'll provide me pictures of all the embryos that make it to freeze. 
Now... the Two Week Wait... Oh joy. 

Next Steps
  • 2/25/16: Bloodwork for hormone levels. 
  • 3/2/16: Beta/Pregnancy Test!!! 
For more details on my IVF process, see my IVF Calendar/Timeline.

No comments:

Post a Comment