Wednesday, March 15, 2017

27w+3d: MFM Diabetes Follow-up and Growth Ultrasound

I had my MFM diabetes follow-up and growth ultrasound yesterday. What's funny is, my appointment was actually scheduled for TODAY and not yesterday! So I must've put it in my phone wrong or something. Luckily they had an opening and were able to see me, but then I ended up being there for over 2 hours... but I suppose that was my fault for showing up a day early to my appointment.

Stats:

  • Weight: +7 lbs 
  • Blood Pressure: 132/72
Getting a little worried about my blood pressure. I've always had really good blood pressure levels, until the last few appointments. They're not too worried about it, but they are keeping an eye on it. They want to make sure it doesn't get to 140/90. The concern is preeclampsia. I'm at higher risk of developing that because of my diabetes. 

Growth Ultrasound 

This ultrasound I wasn't too concerned about. I can consistently feel baby boy move, so I know he's doing OK in there. The focus of the ultrasound was to see how big he's gotten. Here are the stats: 
  • Weight: estimated at 2 lbs, 7 oz. 
  • Overall Percentile: 43rd 
  • Head Circumference percentile: 94th! Yikes. 
  • Measuring about a week ahead 
Baby boy has already turned. It'll be seen if he stays that way. He still has plenty of room to move around. His head was pretty low and we had a hard time getting the head circumference. Supposedly, since he was at an odd angle -- they said the percentile is probably inaccurate. But they also said it's ok if his head is big, that he should still fit through in a vaginal birth... I was thinking, "Ouch." 

It was fun watching baby boy move around and not cooperate with the ultrasound tech. We ended up taking over an hour to get all his measurements and all looks good with him. We got to see him trying to take a breathe, which is really good and on target! He was also moving his lips like he was suckling, it was really cute to watch!! I almost didn't get a picture of his face because he had his face buried in my placenta most of the time. He finally moved slightly and we got a 3D image of him. You can see his little lips, his button nose, and he's starting to get cheeks. It's so weird looking at his picture in wonderment that I actually helped make this little guy. It's funny though, he doesn't look like he's going to have any of my facial features! Have to see when he comes out, but he kind of resembles big brother in a way. 

Always good to have an ultrasound and hear that everything looks good and that baby boy is doing well. 

Diabetes Update 

The last few weeks have been a huge struggle for me... eating wise -- tracking wise -- and motivation wise. I haven't done a great job. I'm glad I could laugh with my MFM because we got into a laughing fit over discussing my diabetes log. I was just honest about it -- no self control, ice cream is too tempting, and I'm just so tired of monitoring/logging. I've been at this since October-ish. I don't complain about it much, as I know it's necessary... But it does take a toll on me. 

We are making some adjustments to my meds: 
  • Morning: Insulin N increase to 28 iu, Insulin R increase to 12 iu
  • Evening (before dinner): Insulin R increase to 12 iu
  • Evening (before bed): Insulin N increase to 48 iu 
With the baby getting bigger, my MFM did say that the insulin will keep increasing. Also, she said that even if you're perfect -- once you hit the 3rd trimester the sugars can get a little wonky. So, best to do my best with monitoring and food choices. 

So, I need to suck it up and just get it done. I just might whine and complain while I'm doing it! I'm dreaming about my first eats after baby boy is born... oh the things I will eat! 

Next Steps: 
  1. Next Week - email diabetes log to MFM. In an attempt to keep me "honest" and motivated, I'm going to email my diabetes log to my MFM next week. 
  2. 3/28: Diabetes follow-up appointment
  3. 4 weeks (not scheduled yet): Diabetes follow-up and growth ultrasound. 
After my next growth ultrasound, I'll be transitioning to weekly appointments with a non-stress test (NST) and ultrasound -- which is also me hitting the 32 week marker in the pregnancy. This can either be one appointment or two... I'm hoping for one weekly. 



No comments:

Post a Comment