Thursday, March 30, 2017

So many Choses: Choosing a Baby Carrier

Oh my... You'd think since I've been a foster parent and I've been through the entire "baby carrier" dilemma multiple times already, that I would not have an issue choosing a baby carrier.

That would be  WRONG.

I know how overwhelming choosing baby items can be. Luckily, since I've had so much experience with babies I haven't had a big issue choosing what I want / need for my baby boy. The only exception is in baby carriers.

I'll give you a brief background of my baby wearing experience.

2011: Very novice at baby wearing. I used a sling for my first foster baby. It was extremely uncomfortable, but I had no clue what I was doing. I just got the first sling I saw at Target.

2013: My first foster son had high medical needs and was very clingy, loved being held. It was hard holding him because he had little control over his head / body -- making it hard to multi-task when home and tiring exclusively holding him when out. So, I tried the Bjorn. I was at Babies-R-Us just overwhelmed with choosing a carrier when I met someone wearing their baby -- she gave good recommendations on the Bjorn, so I got it.

I have to say -- I did love the Bjorn. But little did I know about hip dysplasia and stuff at the time... However, it worked for me. I never used the Bjorn with another baby again because of the inappropriate leg positioning though.

2013: I also received my son as my foster placement this year as a NB and he would soon become my guinea pig with all things baby carriers. I already knew from my previous foster son that I wanted to baby carry more. You can read about all the benefits of baby carrying, but I think the benefits are huge -- especially for foster babies entering the foster system. It helps with bonding, attachment, etc.

Moby Wrap: I LOVED the Moby Wrap. I used it until my son was about 6 months old. My son was a winter baby, so it worked perfect for us. I loved the hands-free aspect of things and it felt very secure. The only issues: 1) It was hard to put on. I would have to put it on prior to leaving the house, so I didn't have to wrap in the parking lot and get the wrap dirty (it's so long it would hit the floor). So I felt like I lived in it! 2) There is definitely a learning curve on how tight to wrap it. It does stretch and there were times where if I was wearing it for a long time, it felt like my son was sinking -- and I'd have to take him out and re-wrap tighter.

Ring Sling (Maya Wrap): I also LOVED The ring sling when my son was a NB. I used it during his first plane ride, since it was so easy to put on / off. Only issue with this is the RING. You can't wear it through the medal detectors (which I didn't realize at the time). So, I had to take him out to walk through the medal detectors, then put him back on -- which really sucked. After that, I never wore him in the ring sling at the airport again. The only reason I didn't use the ring sling more often was because it's not totally hands-free. You need to keep a hand on the baby.  It also hurt my shoulders if I used it for extended time because of the weight distribution. What I loved it for were quick trips into the store for a front carry or hip carry - but not for extended periods of time.

Onya Outback Carrier (soft structure carrier): I absolutely LOVE my Onya Outback. It's easy to use, has multiple uses (can be used as a high chair), and it's breathable in the hot weather. I used the Onya with my son all the way until he was 2 years old. The only issue I had with the Onya was that my son would get indents on his legs where his legs were against the carrier. My son was small, so maybe the "frog" position was too wide for him? I always had to make sure he was wearing pants when he rode in it. He never complained about it -- but it bothered me.

After this -- you'd think that I'd found the carriers I would love, right? Nope!

2015: I received my last foster son and he was all about being close to me -- all the time! So I wore him a lot. He hated the Moby Wrap. He hated the Onya Outback. He moved too much to use the Ring Sling while also having my son (not hands-free) and didn't feel secure. So, I tried a new carrier: The Tula (a soft structured carrier). The Tula is very similar to the Onya -- but for some reason, my foster son just loved the Tula over the Onya. So I exclusively used the Tula with my foster son and I loved it. No complaints on it at all.

I do have to admit that I have a bit of an obsession with baby carriers and it's so very hard to determine which carrier would work for which baby. Now, the dilemma I'm facing: Which baby carrier to use with my new baby boy??

Soft Structured Carrier (SSC)

I bought a new SSC.. I know, I know... I already have two that I love: the Onya and the Tula, why need another? I mentioned that the Onya Outback was breathable, but I also mentioned that the Onya left indent marks on my son's legs. The Tula is warmer (not breathable material). I need one that'll work for the hot weather. I ended up getting the Lillebaby Airflow carrier. I'm hoping I love it and that my baby loves it! What I like about it is: you can adjust the width of the carry at the legs -- making it narrower if needed. You can also use the Lillebaby from NB... although I love SSC, I don't prefer it for the NB stage, not as snuggly as a wrap, but it's nice to have that option.

Wrap

I already know that I prefer the Wrap-style for Newborns. However, the Moby Wrap I have is very very warm and my baby will be born in the summer. So I've been researching baby wraps like crazy....! There are too many choices and I can't settle on one: Moby Evolution (supposed to be more light weight), Wrapsody Hybrid Wrap, Oscha Ice Cotton Wrap, etc. The Moby is a better choice $ wise, but I'm not sure if that's the best overall wrap.

Not to mention -- what if baby boy doesn't like the wrap? LOL.

All this blog entry to say -- I still can't decide on a Wrap! Ugh. I'm leaning towards the Wrapsody Hybrid Wrap right now, but can't decide if spending the extra money is worth it or not. I found this blog that compares some wraps:

http://shopzerberts.blogspot.com/2011/04/stretch-wrap-comparison.html

I'm at a standstill and need to think about it a little more before I make a purchase.

It's funny the things you contemplate when you're pregnant! Baby carriers is one area I didn't think I would need to purchase again for -- but here I am with a new SSC and now going to get a new Wrap. I know the WHY behind it, but I just find it funny that I'm so indecisive about it!

Hopefully I'll be able to maintain my blog post-baby and can post updates on which carrier worked and which didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment