Sunday, July 5, 2015

4th of July Weekend

We had a fun Holiday weekend! 

Friday 

Most company's observed the 4th of July holiday for Friday. But not my company! So, I had to find child care backup (my daycare was closed). Luckily, my company has a back-up child care program available. All the daycare centers in my area were closed, so I went with a Nanny service! Had a nanny come to the house on Friday to watch Little Guy while I worked. It was a bit odd having another person in my home playing with my son, while I worked. But it all went extremely well, very happy with this back-up childcare from my work benefits. On Friday, Little Guy also started getting a runny nose - a cold coming on maybe? 

Saturday - 4th of July! 

Saturday, we went to a friend's house for lunch and to go swimming in the pool. Little Guy is so strange sometimes! He goes to swim class every week, but freaked when we went into the pool. He did the same thing when we went into the pool in Hawaii. It took him a little bit to get comfortable, then he had fun! It was nice to just chill out, the pool felt so good in this terrible heat.

Makes me kind of want a pool at my next house... but I'm still a little afraid of the drowning thing that happens too often with small children. Maybe when Little Guy starts progressing with his swim lessons, I will feel better about having my own pool. But by then - maybe we'll be on the East Coast! Wonder if many people have pools on the East Coast? Something to think about.

After visiting with my friend, we went home and "tried" to nap. Little Guy was having no nap this day, which would prove to be a challenge when staying up to watch fireworks! He also started coughing more, still had the runny nose, had diarrhea, and wasn't eating well.

I watched my friend's two kids from Saturday-Sunday, 3 1/2 year old and 8 year old. I brought them with us to watch the fireworks. I haven't been to this fireworks show before and it's the first time Little Guy was going to really celebrate the 4th of July.

The place we chose was really nice! It was at a large park, plenty of places to set up, there was a park for the kids to play at, and they had food for sale. We brought a cooler, bag of food/snacks, a picnic blanket, and lawn chair. Great set-up to sit and watch fireworks. 

However, it was just really - really hot - for me anyways! I'm not really a fan of the heat...! The kids didn't really care about the heat, they just wanted to play! This was a great place for the kids to have fun. Little Guy made it until half way through the fireworks before he was "done" with it. The fireworks show lasted about 25 minutes. Good show! 

The worse part was getting out of there afterwards. We were basically sitting in the car for 45 minutes before we were able to leave the parking lot. But, I guess that's to be expected. That would be fine, if I wasn't there with 3 tired children (not to mention I was tired too!). 

Sunday 

We had originally planned to go to church, but I opted against it with Little Guy's potential "cold" - also, because we got home extremely late and both of us hardly got any sleep. 

The girls got picked up in the morning. Afterwards, Little Guy and I just lounged. The afternoon nap lasted almost 4 hours!!! Guess we were both knocked out. But it was much needed. After the nap, Little Guy seemed to be feeling a little better and started eating more. Hopefully this cold bug he picked up will not turn into anything big. 

It was a good, relaxing, Holiday Weekend! Next year, I think we will try some of the other fireworks venues. There are so many different options around here, was hard for me to choose one! I will plan the "picnic" portion of it a little better than I did this year, bringing a better variety of things - and maybe save money rather than buying some of the food there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment