Thursday, July 9, 2015

IUI Cycle #3: Mid-Cycle Ultrasound, Follicles need more time

I woke up being very anxious for this ultrasound and wondering if the medication did the trick with maturing my follicles. I ended up getting to my appointment 30 minutes early (over estimated traffic). Sat nervously in the waiting room, checking emails and updating my To-Do List, trying to stay distracted.

Mid-Cycle Ultrasound 

Then, it was finally time for the ultrasound. Not bad news, just different from Cycle 1 and Cycle 2 mid-cycle ultrasounds. I thought with the extra use of injectables and my "mini-stim" round, that my follicles would mature faster. That's not what happened. Instead, this is where I'm at:
  • Leading Follicles: 2 leading follicles - Right - 16mm and Left - 14mm. There are a bunch of small ones, but the RE said that the "recruitment period has ended" and none of the smaller ones will catch up. 
  • Uterine Lining: 5.3 mm
RE said that my uterine lining is low because I'm not ready to ovulate. Said the triple layer looks good though. He said that he wants to give the 2 lead follicles time to mature more and get bigger, also allow my uterine lining to catch up. Instead of getting my Trigger and IUI time, he scheduled another ultrasound for Monday to check the development of the follicles. This is the first time I'm having 3 ultrasounds within a cycle (instead of 2).

He also mentioned that he doesn't think that I'll ovulate over the weekend, since I have long and irregular cycles. Additionally, he doesn't think that I ovulate on my own (with the irregular cycles). Which is one reason I have to use the HCG trigger shot (to force ovulation). So, I shouldn't worry about it too much...

How do I feel? My thoughts:

First: I know there's nothing I can do about it. My follicles aren't ready yet. Calmness and acceptance.

Next: This cycle is really different than the first two. Maybe that's a good sign? Perhaps this means the quality of the follicles are better than the first two rounds?

Then: Please-please-please do not ovulate over the weekend!!! A little panic there.

Finally: I need to adjust my schedule to make sure I get back on Monday in time for my appointment. I'll be driving back from California that day. Also, have to find someone to watch Little Guy while I go to the appointment (this step is complete!).

Back to Calmness and Acceptance and planning peacefully. 

Last Thoughts: There's still a possibility that the cycle may be canceled. If I ovulate early and there are no follicles at the ultrasound on Monday. Praying and hoping that things progress and that the cycle doesn't get canceled.

Next Steps: 

  1. Monitoring ultrasound on Monday, 7/13 @ 3:45 p.m. Hoping: I don't ovulate before then and that both follicles continue to grow. 
  2. I should get my Trigger/IUI day/time at this appointment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment