Friday, July 17, 2015

Update: Toddler Bed Transition, a month later

Last month I decided to transition Little Guy to a toddler bed early. The first week was a challenge, for both of us, learning how to make it work! Now, a month into the new "freedom" a toddler bed provides has went relatively well.

He received new "Cars" sheet, pillow cover, & plush car toy.

Struggle: not getting enough sleep! 

He just wasn't sleeping enough, kept getting up to play with his toys. He's normally a really good sleeper. I decided to stop using the lamp for a night light and instead use the closet light, keeping the closet door ajar.

That seemed to help, so he didn't have too much light in the room - stopped him wondering around the room as much.

Struggle: Playing with his toys 

He started putting all his toys in his bed and playing with all the toys that are in his room. Every - single - one! Maybe I should take some of them out at bedtime? Hmmm... 


Struggle: Sleeping on the floor

Challenge eventually turned into making him stay on bed! He kept sleeping on his Turtle or Pillow on the floor. Also, he kept playing. Let him sleep on the floor? Let him continue to play? He's not whining... maybe I should just leave it alone and pick my battles?

Struggle: Taking things out of drawers 

Pulled everything out of drawers. Then, in the morning sang the "cleanup " song and put it all back before I even got in there!


Struggle: Keeps getting out of bed 

Eventually, when he was OK with me leaving the room (no whining or complaining) - I decided to focus on him staying in bed when I leave. So, I used the monitor and every time I saw him get out of bed, I would say "in bed" - either through the monitor or at my desk (close to his room door).


Surprisingly, he listened (for a few days)! It took a few times - but he would eventually just stay in his bed and play with the toys he has there. His toy truck is a permanent bed object now! He "parks" it there and won't get in bed without it. This was short lived though, as it eventually turned into a game for Little Guy! So, I had to think about choosing my battles again.

Struggle: Wakes up so darn early! 

The hardest part is how EARLY he keeps waking up!!!! He's waking up at 4:30/5am. Lucky for me, he just plays with his toys. But then I feel so rushed in the mornings trying to sneak around to get ready. Once he hears me, he will whine.

By the end of the month: All month, I contemplated on "picking my battles". Can I win the battle of him staying in bed all night long?

Answer: No way!

About a week ago, I decided to just let it be. Sometimes he'll end up on the floor or sleeping on the turtle, but then goes back to bed eventually. He plays with his toys sometimes for an hour after I close the door, but he's not whining.

When I leave the room he doesn't whine, that equals a win in my book! He does eventually fall asleep after he plays for a while. So, why force it? I've decided I'm going to try to just let him play in his room and sleep where he wants to sleep. I'm sure the novelty will wear off eventually. Right? But the big win is = he's fine when I leave the room and feels safe enough to play in his room alone.

Overall, it hasn't been the easiest transition. It's been a learning experience for sure and one of my first "pick my battles" choices. I would say that at the end of month one - it's been a semi-success! I just had to readjust my expectations and meet Little Guy where he was. 

No comments:

Post a Comment