Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Jobbing: 4 Weeks Unemployed

Here's an  update on my Job Hunt. There has been fewer new job postings that meet my qualifications. There hasn't been much movement as far as NEW applications go. I also heard back from the first job that I interviewed for. Unfortunately, I didn't get offered the position. They said that they want to keep my resume on file though. I still need to call back the recruiter and ask her for feedback on the interview process. Planning to do that later this week.

I did have 2 interviews this week, this is how they went.

Interview #1

This was the "BIG" interview for the position that I really want! I wish I could say that everything went exactly as planned, but nope! Here's what actually happened.

I somehow hurt my left knee over the weekend. At first it was just a dull pain, nothing serious. Then Monday rolled around and I was in serious pain by the end of the day. I couldn't sleep because it hurt so bad and if I moved wrong, it caused more pain. I was so freaked over the pain and the thought of limping to my interview in heels, that I cried the night before the interview. Like why of all the days do I have to get some freak injury right before the BIG interview? A little sob fest never hurt anyone and I was in so much pain.

Nevertheless, I had to soldier on. I got my interview outfit out and steamed the wrinkles out, took out the jewelry I planned to wear to the interview, got my portfolio ready, purse ready, shoes ready. Then made plans to go to the pharmacy in the morning to get a knee brace and some pain meds.

The morning of the interview, I get the kids to daycare early so I could hit the pharmacy for my knee supplies. Crazy enough, the knee brace worked WONDERS! Putting it on made walking so much easier. I had plans to leave early so I could get there early, so I could relax in the general vicinity of my interview. It was a bit of a hike - 45-60 minute drive.

Well, while I was doing my hair (not dressed and no makeup) I received a phone call from the hiring manager that I was interviewing with. She called about 8:15am (my interview email said the interview started at 11am) to give me some parking instructions, then she said, "See you at 10!" I then asked her to clarify the interview time and told her the email said 11. She said, "Oh no, it's at 10. I need to talk to the recruiter. Can you get here by 10?"

At this point, my hair is only HALF-WAY straightened, still no make-up, still not dressed... and I had to drive 45-60 minutes just to get there. I'm a bit freaked out I'm not going to make it on time. I told her that it was a pretty far drive and didn't expect to get there that early. She was understanding and just said, "Ok, get here as soon as you can." I couldn't really tell that I wasn't dressed yet and was doing my hair/makeup! Ugh.

Well, I rush-straightened the rest of my hair - put on my makeup really fast - got dressed really fast - grabbed everything and ran out the door by 8:45... I did mention that I busted my knee, right? So it was like my body was moving in s-l-o-w motion while my brain was freaking out.  I ended up getting there at 9:30-ish and arriving on the floor of the interview at 9:40-ish. ON TIME! Woot!

Then, guess what? My interviewer was late coming to get me. LOL. Oh well, at least I was "on time" even though the HR recruiter totally screwed up on the email communication to me.

The interview was supposed to be 1.5 hours and I was to be interviewed by 3 people. The interviews ended up lasting about 2 hours. I thought they went really well! I was happy that I stayed in the same room the entire time, as it helped with my knee issue (you could hardly see the brace under my slacks).

Overall, I was really impressed with this company and with the position. Trying not to get my hopes up but I REALLY want this job! I sent Thank You emails the same night to each of the interviewers. I have to say, writing 3 different Thank You emails was pretty difficult! I didn't want them all to the say the same thing, as I was sending them individually, in case they compared. So I wrote 3 completely different emails.

Guess what, a few hours later - I received an email from the hiring manager asking me to write a one-page synopsis of my impression of the position and how my skills would fit. I was like, WHAT? I have never heard of a job asking to do that before. None of my friends have either... So, I spend the entire next day creating this one-page document. I didn't do a typical report-style one-pager. I tried to be creative, adding color and making it visually appealing by breaking up the text. Ugh. I hope it was what they were looking for. There was no direction at all on format, so I'm hoping I stand out from other candidates.

Next steps for this position: 2nd round interviews with senior management, if I passed this first round, which I hope I do!!

Interview #2 

This interview was by phone with the hiring manager. He's located in a different state, which is why it wasn't in-person. He was very talkative and very informative! He seems like a wonderful manager. This is also a position and company that I would love to work for.  Interestingly enough, he had no clue what the next steps were for the position. But sounds like there are internal candidates for the position. So, I'm not really sure what my chances are in getting an offer. This was one of my "stretch applications," which turns out I totally qualify. It's just that I lack direct industry knowledge. Guess will see how this one turns out.

It's been a busy week with interviewing! I am getting far less things done around the house due to my bad knee and because of all the prep work that goes into interviewing. I have to admit, I'm exhausted...!!!! I'm also starting to worry a bit about time ticking away on my severance package. I know I have time, but I would love to start working in May... June at the very latest! I haven't heard back from a lot of companies and it sounds like getting through interviews there will be maybe a 2 week wait to even know if I get an offer. Ugh. It's so crazy.

Unemployment sucks.

At least things seem to be moving along... I would love to get a few more callbacks for other applications I submitted to. But really, I would absolutely love an offer for the position where everything went absolutely wrong to get to the interview! I guess only time will tell how this will all play out.

For now, I wait. I apply. I pray. I hope. I imagine 100 different scenarios of my future. LOL. I can't help it, I'm such a planner! Every job I've thought about how life will change and what that'll look like for my family.

I can't wait to plan some concrete plans... and for my darn knee to get better. :(

Jobbing Updates: by the numbers 
  • Submitted Applications: 27
    • Call Backs: 3
    • Email Confirmations (meet qualifications): 1
    • Interviews: 3 
    • Denial/Role Filled/Cancelled - Emails: 8

No comments:

Post a Comment