Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Jobbing: 7 weeks unemployed + a Job Offer!!!

If you've been following my unemployment story and my job hunt, it hasn't been an easy road. On my update last week (week 6), I gave a breakdown down of the companies I've interviewed for. Here's an update:

Company #3: (the job I really want!) has given me a job offer!!!

Company #5: I have a scheduled interview with Company #5 for next week - I actually passed their Hirevue screening process (I was shocked!).

Back to the offer. I could say that I felt "confident" that I would get an offer... but I wasn't. It *looked* like they were leaning that way, as you don't go through 3 rounds of interviews if they're not interested in you! But when Monday came and I hadn't hear back... I began to worry.

Then Tuesday came around and still no call... until I received a late call from the HR Recruiter. She wanted to make sure that I haven't accepted any offers and what my salary requirements were.

OK.... so this whole job-hunting thing, I haven't even THOUGHT about getting to the point of salary negotiations. I've never had to salary negotiate before and I haven't researched it. I guess I should have... So, I was like "I'd be happy just to get an offer." Ugh. Totally cut my negotiating power right there! But what was interesting about the Recruiter is that me being a foster parent just slipped out during our conversation. Apparently she's interested in being a foster parent and asked me a bunch of questions about it. Totally side-tracking from the job offer / information. She told me that she would get back to me today after she negotiated my salary with the hiring manager. She also emailed me all the benefits information for medical/insurance/vacation/leave, etc.

I heard back from her earlier today and the salary being offered is pretty generous... I was shocked at how much they were offering me. It was more than I was making at my previous position (significantly) and more than any of the other jobs I interviewed for have offered me (most of the jobs have been a major pay cut). Right now my tentative start date is: 5/23!!! EEEK!!

I'm still going through paperwork and finalizing everything... but it's pretty much a done deal!

I have to tell you... when I was laid off, I cried a little - but I didn't let myself get consumed in depression/sadness over it. Instead I focused on finding a job. After I hung up with the recruiter and she gave me the info on the salary & start date ---- I was jumping up and down with major tears running down my face!!! I couldn't stop crying and thanking God. It's such a blessing to be given a job offer and a GOOD job offer at that. It's just amazing... all I could think about was "Now I can continue to provide for my family" and "we'll be ok."

I know I've only been laid off for 7 weeks... and there are people that take longer to find jobs. I was terrified that I would be one of those people not able to find a job in 6 months... or a year...  of more... I have absolutely no one I could rely on to help me out if something like that were to happen. Once my severance package ended, I would have been screwed. If I took unemployment, it wouldn't even cover half my bills. There was the potential to lose my house, my car, maybe even file for bankruptcy. It would've been that bad for me... This was "worse case scenario" thinking, but it was a total reality of where things would have led me if I couldn't find a job. I seriously have no family that could or would help me out. It's all on me. Which I never minded before... I'm pretty independent and comfortable with that. But now I have a son. A son I need to provide for, who relies on me and me alone.

That burden, that fear -- was sitting on my shoulders since I was laid off. That's why I was so determined and really hit the ground running the day of my layoff. I couldn't risk that worse case scenario from happening.... I just couldn't. I didn't want to put my son through that or not be able to provide for him. I didn't want to fail him. We just became a Forever Family... I had to do all I could do to make sure I could provide for him.

Now, having an actual job offer is such a relief... I will have financial security again. I will be able to provide for my family. The worse case scenario won't happen.

I am actually not even going to let myself feel too comfortable until all the new employee paperwork is competed. I just won't feel like it's a "for sure" thing until then. You know?

I have an interview scheduled next week with Company #5... I'm not going to cancel it until I complete all the pre-employment paperwork. It's my contingency. plan... It's a good job as well - so don't want to lose this opportunity if something were to happen with Company #3 during pre-employment paperwork. I don't see that happening... but you never know! Better safe than sorry until it's all finalized.

But man... things are looking up for sure! Praying that all goes well with paperwork and I can start to truly feel comfortable. Maybe I'll start sleeping better? Since the layoff I haven't slept very well.

Fingers crossed that this truly is IT!

Jobbing Updates: by the numbers 
  • Submitted Applications: 34
    • Call Backs: 3
    • Email Confirmations (meet qualifications): 1
    • Video Screening Request: 1
    • Interviews: 4 (1 scheduled)
    • Denial/Role Filled/Cancelled - Emails: 14
    • OFFERS!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment