Thursday, August 25, 2016

FET 2 (Cycle #11): Starting Lupron + Chronic Endometritis

Just when I thought I knew everything there was to know about my uterus, something new comes up!

Endo Scratch 

After my endometrial scratch last Friday, I had cramping for a few hours after the procedure. I also started spotting, almost was like a light period. I'm still spotting a little today - 6 days after the procedure, which isn't really "normal." At the scratch, they took a uterine biopsy. I totally forgot about it until I received a call from the nurse with the results. 

Biopsy Results 

Originally I wasn't worried about the biopsy. Figured everything would be normal. It's always the procedures/tests that I don't worry about where I should have worried about it! Turns out I have Chronic Endometritis. What?

At first, I wasn't concerned. The nurse made it seem like not a big deal. Go on antibiotics, continue on FET protocol as scheduled, and that's it. It's not going to impact my cycle? Well, good. Then, it's nothing to worry about. Right?

I should have stayed away from Google-verse. I really should've. But I just had to look it up. Surprisingly there's not that much information out there about it. Chronic Endometritis is inflammation of the endometrium (the inner lining of the uterus). 

Google can be a scary thing and it definitely scared me a bit. What I found online was that most people go on antibiotics then have a repeat biopsy to make sure it's gone. Then, once it's confirmed to be gone - they move forward with the cycle.

Well, if I did a repeat biopsy -- I would have to push back FET #2 by a month. But would it be worth it?

I gave a panicked call to my clinic and left a message for the nurse. I was perturbed that they didn't call me back! They normally call me back right away. Then, this evening my RE called me personally to talk about it. I really appreciate him doing that because it made me feel a little more reassured about the process. He said that he was putting me on 14 days of antibiotics (instead of 7-10) to really fight the Endometritis. He didn't think that a repeat biopsy was necessary and he said he normally doesn't do a repeat biopsy on cases like mine.

He did give me the option to push back the cycle and do the repeat biopsy, for peace of mind. But he said he didn't think it would make a difference. I could go through with the cycle, if it doesn't work, blame the endometritis. It's easy to think "what if." He just didn't think it was necessary. He also doesn't think the endometritis is the reason for my previous failed transfers.

I guess I'm skipping a bit on things... but since endometritis is inflammation of the uterine lining, it impacts implantation of an embryo. It's just not a "hospitable" environment for an embryo to grow. My first thoughts were, "is this why I had 2 failed eSETs?" My RE said, "No."

My RE also thinks that the spotting post-endo scratch may be due to an infection from the procedure. But since I'm on antibiotics, that should take care of it.

It's a gamble, but my RE feels very confident that the antibiotics will clear it up and that it won't impact my FET cycle... So, I'm going to go ahead and move forward with the FET as scheduled. I hope I'm making the right decision... It's always hard to tell with these things. Hindsight and all. I know it seems so easy to just decide, "let's wait a month." What's in a month anyways? SO MUCH is in a month. A month is FOREVER in TTC. Also, I've been feeling extremely good about doing a transfer in September - like it was meant to be or something. I don't know. Sounds silly, but pushing it back was more stressful for me... even if it would give me peace of mind to have a follow-up biopsy. Did I mention how much I disliked the endo-scratch? Another reason not to repeat the biopsy.

Here's hoping it all goes well and the antibiotics does its job and my uterus becomes a hospitable environment for my embies.

Starting Lurpon 

With all the frustration with the Endometritis, I did start Lupron tonight. Not exciting or anything! Sticking yourself with a needle isn't a joyous occasion, but it does represent the true "start" of my FET Cycle! So, in a way it is exciting - for me. Not so much for my tummy where I have to give myself shots though. LOL. The joys of IVF. 

Next Steps: 
  • 8/30/16: Stop BCP 
  • 9/3/16: Start Estrogen Patches 
Click the hyperlink for more details on FET #2IVF Cycles, or TTC journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment