Friday, August 12, 2016

Goals: 2016 Mid-Year + July/August 2016

GOALS!

There's been a lot going on in my life: the new job, keeping up with my toddler, going through IVF, being involved in Toastmasters, etc. Sometimes I just get caught up in the day-to-day that I lose track of aspiring towards specific goals that I end up just not getting much done.

It was nice when I was in college because there was a clear and measurable goal: Graduate.

I had personal goals that I've managed to reach post-college: buy a house, become a foster parent, earn my DTM award (Distinguished Toastmaster). I've even listed a few projects that I've "tried" to work on in my blog: decluttering, budgeting, photo booking, wellness (which I haven't even started posting on), gratitude, job hunting. Some of my projects I've been better at keeping up with than others.

What has been lacking in making progress in these projects is making tangible GOALS every month and tracking them. In July, I made "mid-year" goals I started tracking. Yearly goals are great... but breaking those down into smaller steps each month would be even better.

I've decided to start tracking my Goals on my blog. Mostly to hold me accountable and to see where I'm not making any progress. I don't expect to be "perfect" in this, but I do want to start making progress on my goals and in my projects. So, here we are!

2016 Mid-Year Goals (July-Dec):  
  1. Budget Monthly (Part of my Budgeting Project
  2. Make Progress in my debt snowball: Get Debt #2 down by half. (Part of my Budgeting Project
  3. Take the Smart Kids/Smart Money online classes (6 lessons) (Part of my Budgeting Project
  4. Get the House Decluttered  (Part of my Decluttering Project)
  5. 2016 Family Photo Book (Part of my Photo Booking Project)
  6. Adoption Photo Book for my son (to be done by "Family Day" in November) (Part of my Photo Booking Project)
July 2016 Progress On Goals: 
Goal #Mid-Year GoalJuly
1Budget Monthly Done!
2Debt Snowball: Debt #2 50% downNo Progress
3Smart Kids/Smart Money Book/Online Classes (6 lessons)1 of 6 classes completed.
4House Decluttered: Get through all boxesNo Progress
5Family Photo Booking 2016 No Progress
6Adoption Photo Book by November Family DayNo Progress
The reason for no progress on my debt snowball is because I cash-rolled IVF #3. All my extra funds went there. No excuses for the other areas, I just wasn't disciplined enough to set time to do them. One of the issues is, I didn't really have "clear" steps on what I wanted to do that were realistic. I'm fixing that for August and making specific, small, realistic goals.

August 2016 Objectives: 
Goal #Mid-Year GoalAugust
1Budget Monthly Done!
I am a month ahead and budgeted for both Aug/Sept.
2Debt Snowball: Debt #2 50% downPay at least 15% of balance
3Smart Kids/Smart Money Book/Online Classes (6 lessons)Lesson 2 and 3
4House Decluttered: Get through all boxes1) All unused/empty boxes to recycling.
2) Go through baby/toddler clothes, sort by size and label boxes.
5Family Photo Booking 2016 Choose 10 photos for July and August for photo book.
6Adoption Photo Book by November Family DayComplete Story-Board 
For my budgeting project, I did start a new debt free spreadsheet. I got too behind on my last one. I made the new one simpler and easier to maintain on a monthly basis. I also started using these debt free charts that I found on a blog. I have two printed: 1) total debt progress and 2) the current debt I'm trying to knock out. I love the visuals of it and hoping it motivates me to continue to make progress.

For the photo projects, the SMC forum had a thread on how to organize photos. I'm trying the method out to see if it helps me make progress on my photo books. 

I plan to do monthly updates on how I did with each month's objectives in getting to my goals. Let's see if this process actually works this time. I really want to make headway in my debt snowball, I want my house to not be so darn cluttered, and I want to actually finish a Photo Book! LOL. Not to mention that I really need a distraction from TTC and on FET #2! Focusing on my goals would be a positive outlet and more productive than other options.

Hopefully goal setting and tracking will do the trick on reaching these goals by year-end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment