Monday, August 22, 2016

Potty Training 2.0

For the most part, my son has been very easy.

Transitioning to a crib from the bassinet = Easy
Transitioning from a bottle to a cup = Easy
Transitioning from formula to milk = Easy
Transitioning from crib to toddler bed = Easy

He's taken transitions and changes like a champ.

Then came potty training entered our lives.....!!!!!

My easy, adaptable, child = GONE. Potty training has been like a war zone. There have been casualties. We've lost some beloved pants and underwear through this process.

I first introduced potty training in March/April. At first, I thought, "Oh, he has this! This is going to be Easy!" NOPE! Wrong.

At first, things were going lovely. He was totally getting it. He had hardly no accidents. Then BAM. it started to become a battle. I didn't want potty training to be a war between us. So, I started to back-off a bit on the potty training. It didn't help that daycare didn't want to help with the potty training at the time. So, I think it was confusing when he would be there in a diaper and at home in underwear. I totally get that, which is why I started to back-off.

Anyways. Fast forward to today. Daycare finally says, "Let's do this potty training thing!" I get super excited because now he'll get the messaging at home and at daycare. Woohoo! That's great... right?

Well, we just started this week and daycare is starting to think he's not ready....

NOOOOOOOOOO!

See, my son KNOWS when he's going. He will look at me and just go in his underwear. He doesn't care if he's wet. I know he has the bladder control, I know he knows when he's going.

But - HE JUST DOESN'T CARE. He's OK peeing in his pants. He's OK if he stays in his wet pants. Totally gross, right? But to my toddler son, he doesn't care as long as he gets to keep playing.

So, we're giving it a trial try this week with daycare and home focused on potty training. They have "potty buddies" at daycare. If the week doesn't go well or if we don't see any progress (just need a little forward progress from him), then daycare might pull the plug on potty training until he's closer to 3.

<sigh>

I really hope this week is a turning point for him...! I really do. I don't want to rush him, but it'd be nice not to buy diapers anymore! It would also be nice to get past this difficult part in the potty training process. This, by far, has been my least favorite part of parenting! Pee on the couch, pee on the floor, pee in the underwear, pee on the chair.... pee everywhere but in the toilet. <sigh>

Let's see what happens this week.



No comments:

Post a Comment