Sunday, August 14, 2016

Post-Adoption: Communication with Birth Parents

I've been thinking a lot about Little Guy's adoption and communicating with his birth family. I haven't written much about it on my blog, although it's been on my mind a lot.

Since my son was adopted from fostercare, his birth parents didn't voluntarily put him up for adoption. We went from court hearing to court hearing for 18 months until the very last one to terminate parental rights (TPR). It was at this hearing where his birth parents stopped fighting and expressed interest in me adopting him. For more on the specifics of our adoption, see my Adoption Timeline.

At the time of the TPR trial, there was also discussion about communication post-adoption. We do not have an official post adoption agreement. But verbally, I agreed to some sort of communication, but was not specific. I set up an email address and a PO Box for them to communicate with me. 

My son's birth mother has consistently written... Almost at an obsessive level. We receive multiple letters a month from her. Sometimes what she says in the letters makes me question if she really "gets things." She would panick if I didn't write her back right away and think I was "mad" at her. 

I quickly set up some limits with her. I agreed to write 2x's a year and send pictures. She can write as much as she wants (and she does). She expressed some dismay at "two times a year" isn't enough and some side comments about it in her letters to my son. Almost trying to guilt trip me (it hasn't worked and I don't respond to her on those comments). I keep my letters 100% about my son and what he's up to. 

She has tried to get me to meet up with her sister and her kids (my son's birth aunt and cousins). She's also tried to have me agree to phone calls. I've said no to both... Which surprised me. I thought I would be more open to building relationships with my son's birth extended family. But I guess I'm leary of their sincerity. This is the aunt that tried to get custody of my son and who only visited him 2x's the entire time they had fostercare visitations (where they could've visited 2x's a week). Plus, his cousins are way older than him - no real relationship building there. I had to think, "would the contact benefit my son?" My answer was no at the time. I think it would've only benefited them and I had a gut feeling that the request wasn't really to see my son, but to keep an eye out on me. 

As for phone calls, my son doesn't even know how to talk on the phone yet! 

Eventually I know she's going to ask for in-person visits. Right now, I'm leaning towards no. There are some safety concerns that I don't want to post here... Which is another reason why I'm against contact with the aunt. I don't want to get into specifics on all of that and may be a little vague. I know it's my son's birth mother... but my son was in foster care for a reason and the State terminated rights on his birth parents for a reason. There are a lot of aspects to consider in this and it's not black/white. My son's safety is my #1 priority and that trumps anything and everything. 

My son doesn't know his birth mother, hasn't seen her since he was 5 months old. I don't feel like I should make that choice for me son at this juncture. When he's old enough, I'll let him make a decision on whether or not he wants to meet his birth family. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. I'll support him either way. 

Now, there's his birth father. He made visitations pretty consistently right up till the TPR trial. Then he missed he goodbye visit and I haven't heard from him since. Which is so odd! He was very adamant about having a communication plan. Since my son knew him, I probably would've even allowed in-person visits with him. But not one email and not one letter. 

It didn't bother me at first. But recently I started to question if I should initiate contact. I want to have contact with his birth parents so that when my son is ready (and he chooses), it'll be a smooth process on getting him in-touch with them. Not only that, I want to have contact if any medical issues come up. I also want to do all I can do to keep my son's birth parents informed of his life and development. Partly because I would want to know if my child was adopted. 

I've been playing with the idea of emailing the birth father... I didn't want to initiate contact because I had to think there was a reason he wasn't communicating? Plus, maybe he's involved in unsafe behaviors again? 

Well, I bit the bullet! I emailed him today. I asked if he wanted to set up a communication plan and receive pictures. I also asked him if he had any pictures of my son and him together. I know he does (he showed me on his phone), but he never gave me a copy. I would love for my son to have pictures of him with his birth father. He might also have pictures with my son and relatives that attended visitations. Right now I only have 1 photo of my son with his birth parents. I would love for him to have more... 

Anyways, now I wait to see if I'll hear back from his birth father! 

Adoption can be tricky and there are so many things that I have yet to be faced with. I'm not sure how my son is going to react to all this as he gets older or how sensitive he'll be to his foster care/adoption story. Only time will tell.

Right now, I'm working on his Adoption book... which I've been working on FOREVER. With our one-year anniversary of our adoption coming up (our "Family Day"), I'm forcing myself to really make the effort in finishing it. Which it's why it's part of my August goals this month and one reason I'm thinking so much about post-adoption communication with his birth parents.

I am making a point to talk to my son about being adopted. I show him pictures of his birth parents and tell him "his story" in age appropriate terms (which will be easier once I can get a few of his adoption books done). They are part of him. I'm also looking at other ways to "honor" his birth parents on an on-going basis. As he gets older, I am hoping that our discussions and stories will help him through understanding his past. I'll write more on that later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment