Tuesday, April 18, 2017

32w+3d: MFM Visit + BPP Ultrasound

This week I start my 2x's a week appointments on Tuesdays and Fridays, rotating between the MFM+BPP and OB+NST. Today was the MFM visit and BPP. My stats:

Weight: +13
Blood Pressure: 112/70

Hmph. I went up +3 lbs from last week. Not sure if it was a fluke of clothing or if it's because I ate right before my appointment. Hopefully it doesn't really mean anything. My blood pressure is awesome though, which is really nice.

Bio Physical Profile (BPP) Ultrasound

This is the fastest ultrasound I've ever had, less than 20 minutes. It's nice because that means that they were able to see everything they needed to see. According to WebMdThe BPP measures your baby's heart rate, muscle tone, movement, breathing, and the amount of amniotic fluid around your baby.

The ultrasound tech showed me baby boy practicing his breathing. I'm still amazed that he's in there! I mean, I see him on the ultrasound and everything -- I feel him moving -- but there are still times where it's hard to believe I'm going to have a baby! I was concerned that baby boy had moved since I was feeling movement in weird places, but he's still in the right position, head down. So apparently he's either head butting me, he's punching his way out, and his booty is hitting the right side of my rib cage while his feet are kicking the left. Definitely getting tight up in there for him.

I kinda talked to the ultrasound tech about all this monitoring and how some people don't need all these extra appointments. I am high risk for a few reasons: I'm over 35 -- the call this "Advanced Maternal Age" (AMA), I got pregnant through IVF (which I was surprised this alone would be considered high risk), and I have type 2 diabetes. So basically I'm high risk x3! Yikes. Although the appointments can be a big pain to schedule and juggle, I am a million times grateful I'm getting so much monitoring. It's reassuring that if something goes wrong -- they'll catch it. Also, I don't need to go around wondering how the baby is doing.

MFM Diabetes Consult  

Since I was just at the MFM office last week, I have to admit that the last week was pretty hectic schedule-wise. Easter activities, work commitments, appointments -- it became a bit difficult to consistently check my blood glucose levels 2 hours after each meal. Easter weekend was also very tiring for me in general -- just having a lot of stuff to do. I keep hoping things will calm down and I think they will after this week (I hope!). All my pre-natal classes will be completed - YAY! No more busy weekends, hoping to do some 1x1 activities with my son before the baby arrives, also need to finish baby prepping (almost done!). Work doesn't slow down much until maybe the 2nd week of May. Hopefully that means I'll be able to be more consistent with tracking everything.

Changes to my Insulin:

  • Morning: Humulin N increase to 38 iu, Humulin R increase to 18 iu 
  • Evening (before meals): Humulin R increase to 20 iu [or 22 iu if glucose is 120 or higher]
  • Evening (before bed): Humuli R in crease to 58 iu 
I'm hoping we don't have to add another insulin shot before lunch... We might have to. What's so weird about my glucose levels is, one day my glucose levels will be fine after a meal. I'll eat the same meal (assuming it'll be fine) and my glucose levels will be off the chart. No way to predict when it'll happen and when it won't happen. But my MFM said that's normal because baby is getting bigger and it's just getting harder to manage. 

I'll be doing another growth ultrasound around 35-36 weeks to see where baby boy is at. 

Discussing Possible Induction / C-Section Date

My MFM wants me to talk to my OB about getting "on the schedule" for either an induction or C-Section. We won't know until 36 weeks if I'll need a C-Section, but right now baby boy is measuring really good and not big at all. If things continue this way, then an induction might be the way to go. 

I didn't realize that the induction / C-Section slots can possible "fill up!" So, MFM suggested I talk to my OB and see if we can get something scheduled between 37-38 weeks. Which means between May 20-27!!!! Yikes. If I schedule it in advance, I may be able to choose the day... Other things that are good about it: 1) I can pick a last day of work, 2) I can arrange childcare better, and 3) I'll have a real countdown to a specific day / time. Crazy. 

But it does feel weird to choose the date... mostly because my dad's birthday is that week and one of my much loved foster babies birthday is that week... I also have a bunch of friends that have birthdays that week. So, it just feels weird to me to pick a date. 

Will talk to the OB about it on Friday and see what she says though and when they normally schedule it out. It'll be kind of exciting to get a firm date! 


Next Steps: Next Tuesday BPP and Diabetes Discussion with MFM

No comments:

Post a Comment