Wednesday, April 5, 2017

30w+4d: Bi-Weekly OB Visit

I had my bi-weekly OB appointment today. Was a pretty quick appointment. My stats:

  • Weight: +8 lbs
  • Blood Pressure: 122/72
  • Fetal Heart Rate: 140 bpm
  • Fundal Height: measuring at 32 weeks

This was the first time I remember the OB measuring my fundal height. Here is a description of it:


I did talk to my OB about the possibility of me having a vaginal birth. She said that the reason they normally will induce diabetic pregnancies between 37-38 weeks is so that there is a chance for the baby to come out vaginally and not need a C-Section. After 38 weeks, it becomes more likely for a C-Section because the babies are normally bigger than the average. 

I asked her what the chances of the induction working vs. not working. I think that was my biggest concern when I was taking birthing class -- is that an induction won't work and lead to a C-Section. My OB said that most of the time the inductions work. Which is good news, so maybe I have a shot at a vaginal birth after all?! She did say that the labor can be longer and more uncomfortable because there are so many interventions, but that it is a good possibility that it could work. 

Now, this is keeping in mind that baby boy doesn't get too big -- meaning his shoulders don't become wider than his head. Last growth ultrasound he was measuring in the 43rd percentile and his shoulders were a normal size. Will have to see how next week's growth ultrasound goes and see if he's still within the same range or not. 

I felt really good thinking that I may in fact be able to have a vaginal birth after all! However, we're looking at 7-8 more weeks of baby boy growing -- so I realize that it might change... So, I'm not getting my hopes up on it just yet -- but I do think I'll practice some labor breathing just in case I end up in a long labor and can get to that vaginal birth that I so hope for. 

In 2 weeks (when I'll be 32 weeks), I'm going to be having two weekly appointments: 1) Non-Stress Test (NST) and 2) Ultrasound called Bio Physical Profile (BPP). The way the appointments go, I'll go in for the NST or BPP, then I'll meet with the OB afterwards to discuss the results. Looking at 40-60 minute appointments each. I'll be rotating where I have my NST and BPP at, depending if I have an MFM visit that week or not -- I want to try to combine as many as possible so I don't end up with 3 visits a week. Argh. Getting down to the wire here...!! 

This appointment was kind of nice because I didn't have much to talk about! It's nice just having a boring section of my pregnancy for a change and not being too worried about things. It was also kinda weird going into the OB's office and actually "looking" pregnant! It took me so long to look pregnant, that I remember when I first starting going to the OB office and seeing the obviously pregnant ladies and thinking "Man, I can't wait to get that far" -- and here I am, closer to the end of my pregnancy than the beginning... Baby boy is almost here!!!! 

There are times that I still can't believe this is all happening, that I'm not just dreaming, that baby boy will truly be here soon. Such a blessing. I can't wait to meet my little miracle baby boy. 

Next Steps: 
  1. 4/18: BPP with OB
  2. 4/21: NST with OB

No comments:

Post a Comment