Thursday, May 7, 2015

Career Zombie Walker = Cross-Country Move Plan?

I've been working for my company for 11 years and in the same position for 5 years. Prior to this position, I would get promoted/move on up every 1-2 years. When I finally received my promotion to this position, it opened up an opportunity for me to become a foster parent. I work from home (no commute!) and I can work flex hours (if needed). It was the perfect opportunity for me to really start the foster care process.

I am forever grateful for this position. It's been perfect and I've enjoyed the work-life balance, the flexibility, the no-commuting aspect of it.

But here's the thing... I haven't progressed in my career. I haven't been promoted to a new role. I haven't even looked for different positions. This is totally not like me! I'm usually motivated, wanting to advance, seeking new opportunities, searching for new challenges.

That's when I realized: I've become complacent and comfortable in my current role. I have become a Career ZOMBIE WALKER. NOOOOO! I've been working my position and not really advancing in my career - just doing the day to day things. Something I said I would never become!

Why? Because it's easy! I'm able to be a foster mom. I'm able to do other things like go to the gym on my lunch break, run errands, take kids to appointments, have my appointments, work flex hours.

Easy. Convenient. Comfortable. 

The focus on advancing my career has been null and void for a few years now. That is not good. The truth is, there aren't many job opportunities in my State. I've been told by my manager that if I want career advancement, I would need to consider moving to some of our key "Hub" cities. For me, that would mean a cross country move from the West to the East.

At first, I was like "NO WAY! I'm not relocating!" I've considered leaving the company and finding another job somewhere else.

Why would I do that? I am a single income supporting my family. I make decent money. I have wonderful benefits. I have business advancement opportunities (just not in my State).

When I realized I was becoming one of those dreaded Career-Zombie-Walkers... It hit me! I need to start focusing on my career, on what's best for my family, and really start enjoying my day-to-day. I don't want to just "go through the motions"! I want to LIVE and LOVE my job! I also want to show my kids that THEY should love what ever it is they choose to do. As a mother, I have to lead by example and I have to make sure I'm showing and not just telling.

I don't want to be complacent. 

I don't want to be stagnant. 

What needs to change? I realized that there's nothing really tying me to where I currently live. Yes, I'll miss my dear friends, I'll miss the connections I've made here, and I'll miss my house (this was the first house I've bought).I made a pro/con list of moving and the PRO list wins, hands-down: That's when I decided: I'm relocating!

  • More Job Opportunities / Advancements. 
  • Cooler Summers 
  • Comparable Cost of Living as where I currently live (I can live there on a single income). 
  • There's affordable housing (I can afford to buy a house there) 
  • Kids can play outside in the summer! 
  • Nicer Home 
  • More "space" at house (bigger lot sizes) 
  • A positive change. 
  • More "community" feel -- more connection to the community 
  • It fits my "ideal home" criteria. A few years ago I had started building a list of where my Ideal Home would be. Surprisingly, moving to where my company is headquartered... fits the description almost exactly! Who knew?! 
Don't worry, I'm not moving today or even this year!!! I'm not that impulsive! I am a planner and thinker at heart. I need a roadmap before I do anything. 

Here's the rough-draft plan: 
  1. Research new area. Find out which suburbs fit my "Ideal Home" criteria, school district ratings, and commuting distance to work. This is in progress, as I have co-workers that live there - so I'm talking to them about it already. 
  2. Finalize Little Guy's Adoption. This is the Big biggie of them all. We are headed towards adoption, but he's not adopted yet! Once the judge signs the dotted line and he's my Forever Son, I'm going to create a timeline for the move, with concrete dates. 
  3. Having Baby C.  It's interesting, I'm on this TTC journey and there's so much uncertainty around it. Will I get pregnant? Will this work? Will I have to pursue other options? So much uncertainty around it and hard to make concrete plans when you never know if your cycle is going to lead to a BFP or a BFN. The good thing about TTC is that I can be anywhere and still proceed with my TTC plans. I don't have to stay here to do it. If, God willing, I am able to get pregnant in the next few tries... of course, that would be another Big biggie to consider time-frame wise. However, it's not going to hinder me from proceeding with moving. Because people have babies everywhere in the United States :) 
This is a long process in the making. My estimate, considering all the factors, is that I'll move mid to late 2016. Time frame will be determined once Little Guy is adopted and if/when Baby C will be joining us. 

The for sure thing is: The move is going to happen. I need it to be able to squash this Career-Zombie-Walker. 

The best part of this plan is: it feels RIGHT and it feels GOOD. Once I opened myself to the thought of relocating, I had this euphoric feeling of rightness. Let the excitement and the planning commence!  


"You cannot swim for new horizons 
until you have courage to lose sight of the shore."
William Faulkner

No comments:

Post a Comment