Friday, May 29, 2015

Hawaii Trip, Day #2: Waikiki Beach + Graduation Ceremony Day


The whole point of this trip was to attend a graduation for my friend's daughter. Well... it turned out to be a little dramtastic.

Before the drama of the graduation ceremony in the evening, Little Guy and I went "exploring" and found a little place right by our hotel called Keoni by Keo. It's a cute little place and we loved their breakfast!


Waikiki Beach 

After we had breakfast, we headed to the beach across from our hotel. Man, the beach was packed! We wondered a little to the left of the hotel to find a little area that was perfect for us. There is a little patch of beach that has a break in it - which makes the waves less intimidating for Little Guy. 


Little Guy didn't like the sand at first. It took him a little bit to get used to it! He also wasn't thrilled with going into the water, even with the small waves. After a little while, he seemed to enjoy the water and the sand a little bit more. I took it slow with him, not forcing him to into things and giving him a chance to adjust.

Even though the beach is right across the street -- imagine I'm carrying Little Guy in the carrier and have a beach chair as a backpack and a small backpack with me for beach stuff. Fun times carrying everything. I made it work though! 


We spent the entire morning at the beach then headed back to the hotel for nap time prior the graduation. 

Graduation Ceremony 

I won't spend too much time on this part, as it wasn't the most joyful aspect of the trip.


Some background: I had a falling out with some of the family members a few years ago when I first became a foster parent. Long story short, they didn't agree with my parenting style and said some mean things to me. Then, it got blown out of proportion where I ended up doing some big bad wrong that was unforgivable. I have tried to talk it out, but one of the family members refuses to talk to me about it. She also refused to acknowledge my existence and will ignore me at events. Very mature! On top of that, her children feel like they are unable to speak to me when she is around. I've known her kids since they were babies (they are now teenagers). I was really close to her kids. Lots of heartbreak and soul searching has gone into this for me, and I'm now "over it".


So, my friend's ENTIRE family came out -- including the one that has the drama with me. I wasn't really looking forward to the graduation events! I came to support my friend's daughter - not to have a dramafied time. My friend specifically asked me to come out for the graduation, which is why I came.

Well, we were all meeting at my friend's house prior to the graduation so we can all drive over together. Man... the tension in the house was thick. I haven't felt that "out of place" since high school maybe? Sheesh. I really could have skipped the graduation... but the whole point of the trip was to support the graduate. So, here I was in awkward-land. And yes, the relative ignored me - didn't make eye contact with me - ignored Little Guy too (which was even more annoying). Got to love immature adults! The graduation ceremony was even more strange since we were all in close quarters. Then, returning to the house afterwards -- the tension didn't ease. They eventually left, then I left shortly after them. It was just all awkward! I wasn't looking forward to having to attend the graduation party on Sunday.

This whole experience made me realize something about the entire situation and what I need to do next to let go of some of my past where these people are concerned. I'll save that for another entry though - no need to linger on it now! It's over (thank goodness).

Best part of the day: Hanging out at the beach with Little Guy.

Worst part of the day: hanging out at my friend's house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment