Tuesday, May 5, 2015

IUI Cycle #2: Ode to Clomid

Last Day of Clomid!! Woohoo!!! 

For this cycle, I was on 100mg of Clomid for CD 3-7 (5 days). Last cycle I was on only 50mg of Clomid. I thought since the dosage was being upped, that I would have more side-effects. This is what I experienced (I'm not 100% sure that it is all related to the Clomid).

Extreme Moodiness - Don't mess with me! My moods swing from one extreme to another so quickly, you might get whiplash.


Short Tempered - Don't mind me, I'm the calm one that is serene & peaceful, then BAM - something sets me off. Watch out.

Short Period - My normal period is 6-7 days. This time, it was only 4 days! Crazy. Due to clomid? Hmmm.

Middle of the Night Pee - Really? I thought that was a side-effect of Progesterone. But it started happening again when I started Clomid. Ugh. 

No Ovary Pain - Last cycle, I had some pain in my ovaries while taking Clomid. I attributed that to the clomid "working". This time, with a higher dosage --> No ovary pain. None. Nada. It is actually so much different than last cycle that it made me worry that the Clomid isn't working... I try not to focus on that part of it. I figure I'll know more at my next ultrasound on Friday. Plus, I am trying not to WORRY about anything. All of this is out of my control, why worry? (easier said than done)

Hard time sleeping / Insomnia - It's interesting. Off of fertility drugs, I have a hard time falling asleep and then I toss and turn all night long. So, having a hard time sleeping isn't new to me. On Clomid, I go to sleep easy. Then I wake up in the middle of the night and I'm "awake" - instead of tossing/turning - I'm wide awake! Then have a hard time trying to go back to sleep. Happens all night long. Will I ever get some real sleep :( 


Hot Flashes - Not to leave out the wonderful hot flashes. I take Clomid with dinner because it's close to me going to sleep. The hot flashes happen with the Insomnia portion. Blankets on - blankets off - sheet on - sheet off. They're not hitting me as bad as it did in the first round though.

Trying to Conceive Time-Frame

Another thing I've been thinking about where TTC is concerned... The average couple takes about 6 months to get pregnant. That's healthy, normal, people. So, TTC as a single woman - I can expect it to take within 6 months. Which I suppose is why my insurance won't cover infertility until after 6 months... but that's another topic! And also why there's a bell curve on IUI success rates within 6 cycles.


I know it's different being single as I have all these additional costs with fertility drugs, monitoring, clinical procedures, donor sperm, etc. Yeah, it's expensive! But I guess it's normal for it to take a few tries before it works, even for the average couple. Therefore, I'm going to try my best not to fret. It truly will happen when it's supposed to happen! Crossing my fingers that try #2 is the one, but I know statistically there is only a 15-20% chance this try will work. Let's roll the dice and play the odds.

How Far to Go? 

Some other thoughts in the back of my mind are around if I would venture into IVF, Donor Eggs/Donor Embryos, or look into private adoption. This is all considering if the IUI's do not work. I'm not going to go down that rabbit hole right now... but it is in the back of mind on how much $ I'm willing to spend. Not only that, the emotional drainage that goes into TTC.

Truth is, right now I am 100% committed to seeing this TTC process through. I have no clue what that's going to look like in the end - but I feel like I would keep trying until it works. However, there has to be a logical stop point, right?

Trying to stay positive with this Cycle #2, but it's extremely difficult!!

I really enjoyed looking up Clomid and infertility humor :) Lots of these made me laugh because the Clomid ones are so very true. Made me feel better in a way that others have gone through this. I've been reading through blog after blog.

Praying for you Baby C, every single day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment