Sunday, May 10, 2015

IUI Cycle #2: HCG Trigger Shot!

Everytime I think about the trigger shot, I think about that song by LMFAO "Shots!"  Then it gets stuck in my head and I'm singing it like I'm at the club or something. Wish I was talking about one of those shots! The HCG trigger shot is not as fun. 


The HCG trigger shot is to help with the timing of the IUI. You "trigger" the release of the eggs from the follicle. All mature follicles (>16mm I think) get released. Then my RE performs the IUI 36 hours later. Some clinics do it differently, mine swears by 36 hours. 

I couldn't sleep last night! I kept dreaming that I overslept & missed my trigger time. Or that I messed up the directions. Or that I was missing parts. I kept waking up in a panic and checking the time thinking, "did I miss it?!! Is it 4am yet??!!" 

Sheesh, you'd think since this is my second time doing this that it would be easier? Nope! Still paranoid I'm going to miss my "window" of fertility opportunity. Worried that my good juicy 21mm follie will ovulate before trigger time. Worried that the timing is just off. 

Also, you'd think since I've already done the trigger once that I wouldn't be a total mess doing it a second time... For me, it didn't get easier mentally preparing myself to give myself a shot. 

Like last time, I prepared everything the night before & inventoried everything, making sure all was there: 


When I finally woke up at 4am & mixed the solution, it went really well - no nightmare mishaps came to fruition! The needle still looks dangerous and intimidating... 


This time I was able to plunge the needle in on the first try! "3-2-1, plunge!" while singing "Shots, shots, shots, shots, shots, Everybody!" Lol, not really :) 

It didn't hurt going in. Once I started to depress the needle, I had a quick sharp burning pain - then was gone. After the solution was all in, pulling the needle out was easy. I then had a little bit of burning feeling again -- then nothing. I didn't even have as much blood as last time, I had a hard time finding where to put the bandaid! 

All in all -- not too bad. I could've done with a better nights sleep though!!! Paranoia that I would miss the trigger time was not fun! 

Great way to begin Mother's Day with a nice "shot" at making a baby. 

IUI #2 tomorrow. Praying praying praying.

No comments:

Post a Comment