Thursday, May 21, 2015

Moving-Moving-Moving On My Mind!

I've been thinking a lot about moving. I'm getting more and more excited at the prospect of relocating! Right now, I'm planning for a May or June 2016 move.

Things I've been contemplating:
  • Renting vs. Buying? Decision (for now): Rent. Get to know the area for 1-2 years before purchasing a new house. 
  • Renting an apartment vs. renting a house/townhouse? This one I'm still contemplating on. There are a lot of benefits to both options. I've been looking at rental houses/townhouses and apartment buildings. The apartment buildings that I absolutely LOVE are a little bit of a commute... Not sure I want a commute while I'm renting. Also, it's a bit pricey. But it's almost like "resort living." Some even have dog-parks on site! Which would be great for my dog... But having a yard for my dog would be more "convenient"... Hmmm. 
  • Drive Cross Country vs. shipping my car? My friend told me she drove cross country with her 2 year old and that her 2 year old screamed the entire time!! My Little Guy will be 2.5 at that time and he already has a hard time with road trips that are 5-6 hours... So, possibly driving cross country with just him, my dog, and me -- might be a bad idea! LOL. I'm going to re-consider this one when a set timeline is made. 
  • To Toastmasters or not to Toastmasters, that is the question. I've been extremely active in Toastmasters for the last 3 years. I'm considering getting active in my new State as well. My company has a GREAT Toastmasters club! I'm definitely joining that one. But I think I also want to join a community club, so I can meet more people. Possibly get involved in District Leadership after I'm settled. My network of friends here is mostly through foster care and through Toastmasters. It would provide a great opportunity to start building a new support system. 
Now the big one!! Foster or not foster....

I've been a foster parent for almost 4 years. It feels like it's a part of who I am. Part of my identity. NOT being a foster parent just feels odd... At times, I think it would be great! No more visits, no more appointments, no more training, no more court visits, no more oversight. 

Then, there's the part of Fostering that has become a part of how I identify myself. I'm proud to be a foster parent! I have loved being a foster parent! It's given meaning to my life to advocate and help my foster babies. To just stop... It feels a little panicky. 

So, I started looking into agencies in the State I'm relocating to... and reading their policies. I called one agency and they were really nice! They said that I can "transfer" to the new State if my license is still open. I wouldn't have to re-take the MAPP classes. If my license lapses, I can re-open it within 1 year of closure without re-taking the MAPP classes. Anything past that and I'd have to start from scratch. Would need a new home study (of course) and to agree to their policies/procedures. They are also open to single foster parents - which is awesome! Seems like it would be a nice possibility to continue to foster... Decisions, decisions. 

Other things to consider. My life will be changing - a lot.!! 
  1. Little Guy *should* be adopted...! 
  2. I may have a new little Baby C or expecting a new Baby C (hopefully!!! Fingers Crossed!) 
  3. I *may* be starting a new job shortly after my move (within 6 months - hopefully will find a good position that fits my strengths!). 
  4. I'm going to be in a whole new State, away from everything and everyone I know! 
So, putting fostering "on hold" until I get settled makes total sense. Right? It still makes me feel like something will be missing... But maybe I just have to redefine things and it'll take me a little while to get used to my new life? 

Lots and lots to think about! What's for sure is, I'm REALLY excited about relocating!!! It's like fresh eyes and new look at what's possible in my life and for my Family C.

No comments:

Post a Comment